authenticity

Currently I am 29yr male. I have Diploma in CS. But after graduation. The place I lived didn't have any IT jobs. I love outskirts at that time I didn't have any transport too. After that I just took an accounts job. This was after lockdown. When I graduate 1 week after Malaysia have a lock down cause of COVID.

So far I been working as an account clerk, than promoted to account assistant. Now salary below 3k.

I have 0 exp in the field and I learn on the job so this coming may would be 2 yr in this company.

My question is if I want to get a degree. Is there any full online degree for accounting? And do Malaysia accept online degree?

And I want to know is that is my diploma in CS can be in any use? Like credit transfer etc?

Currently I want to have a degree because I want to go for higher positions , as well as increase my knowledge of accounting.

Currently these are my skill set. Imo it's very basic. If there is any accountant or senior that work in account please evaluate what level I am at. And what position should I go next.

1)AP/AR
2)Bank reconciliation
3) issue petty cash, bookkeeping
4) issue and post PO, DO , Invoice
5) create Vouchers ,JV , Journal entry , G/L etc.
6) make payments , keeping track of fix asset in excel and in system.
7) BA / LC for 2 banks.
8) I know how to use NAV ( navision vern2009),
SQL accounting software.
9) i know how to do nesting , use a few nesting software , as well as concert the program from nesting to the machine. Metal industry.
11) basic knowledge programming , Java, HTML , SQL , CSS, VB.net , Photoshop.

In your opinion how much salary shot I be getting with my skill set? And can I pursue a degree in accounts even though I never had any accounting education at all.

Again I have 0 work exp in IT field. Just my certificate only.

@authenticity If you're serious about accounting, forget the degree and look into taking the professional certs ACCA/ICAEW and MIA. Can self study or do it part-time in school.

Once completed or nearing completion, apply to the big 4 for external audit role. If you're unable to get into the big 4, apply to the second tier firms. After a year or two in the second tier firm or when you're a senior, jump to the big 4 and do a couple years there. Ensure you have at least 3 years experience total at a big 4/second tier firm to fulfill the requirement for the professional cert. Once you get the cert, apply for MIA.

After all this, you can do whatever you want, either continue in audit until partner, transition into finance, move into internal audit, move to commercial accounting, even move to government accounting to FM or move to SG.

Good luck.

@authenticity Its better if you go and look at JDs of the job you want and look at the requirements. Not every accounts job need degree some just need basic experience and a human body to do the work. Once you get experience then work on whatever else needed.

https://www.jobstreet.com.my/account-jobs?jobId=74473993&type=standout

Entry level accounting job with very low level requirement like 2 years working exp. Just learn to use jobsearch websites.

@ineedadvice101 Man your rude. I didn't ask you to browse for me I am seeking advice on how can I study a degree for accounting online.

And weather or not my diploma in CS can be in use in anyway.

Also I do know my diploma is irrelevant. Come on man. Don't need to be so rude.

@authenticity I also have a word for you. Lazy.

Just a few minutes of browsing jobstreet can answer your question but you expect someone to spoonfeed you. This kind of attitude want higher position lol.

@ineedadvice101 First and foremost sorry. I thought the previous that you were insulting. Like I was busy and didn't really through. Thanks for the advice.

And btw calling me lazy is rude.

And I will use job street to search and I revoke back my calling you before you called me lazy.

But no need to help me to search at job street.

Again I apologise cause I didn't read properly.

@authenticity No problem. I take back calling you lazy. Its not my position to judge. But I will be very honest when you are behind other people who already certified and have much advanced experience, you need to be willing to put in more effort. I assume your higher position talking about Accounts Manager. All the best, we all just wanting to do better in life.

@ineedadvice101 Yea I understand that. That's why I came here to ask for advice. And I understand I am behind in life. But I want to make myself better.

I do not have a head start in life. Imo I had a terrible one. With lots of problems and death in family.

And I know I am against all odds now since I old already. But I do not want to give up.

Thanks again for your advice.

@authenticity No need to give up just 29y/o. I pivoted to a new industry at 27 y/o. Started from scratch. Worked my way up step by step and recently got my third job offer finally making 6 figures at 34 y/o. Nothing impossible.

@authenticity The guy has a point. Many resources online to help inform you of accounting and/or IT pathways and necessary certification (along with which are recognised).

Anyways, if you go down accounting path, forget about diploma or degree. Go straight to the professional papers (ACCA, ICAEW, CPA, etc). I leave it to you to research which is best for you, but be warned, not easy to pass and there are a LOT of papers. Its very common to fail and retake a few papers.

@authenticity You can consider Open University Malaysia (OUM).

Classes are online and are not mandatory. Quizes and tests are online. Most exams are online, too.

If you took your diploma in IPTAs, most probably there are subjects you can credit transfer. You can also take APEL C if you think you are knowledgeable enough for any subjects. For example, you pay and take the APEL C test on the Introductory Accounting subject. If you pass, you do not need to take the subject.

The fee is not that expensive(for IPTS standard), around RM30k.

I'm taking my Degree in IT in OUM, and so far, it is very convenient and flexible. Perfect study program for full-time workers.

Btw, may I know why you decided to go on accounting even though you studied Diploma in CS before? You do not have passion working in the IT industry?