I just got my will and Vorsorgeauftrag notarized at 24 - ask me anything!

@abishope I think so. There is no language requirements in the law and a lot of people know English, so that it should be understood what the document is.

@tom112 So say you and your partner die at the same time, how is your Testament discovered? That’s the part I’ve not understood so far. Is it already stored somewhere official?

@denchristian There is something called the Swiss central will register, where you can have the existence of your will recorded. When you die, the authorities will request info from that registry

@tom112 Do you know about plant-based cheese made from nuts, such as cashews? You can even ferment them as well so they taste very cheesy!

Are you aware of the cruelty that goes on in the dairy industry?

@marvmars I know various vegan products and I‘m happy to include in my diet whatever is tasty.

I‘m aware of there being some horrible conditions under which animals are held. I try to buy local produce and when shopping in the supermarket, I pay attention to labels (Naturafarm for meat and eggs, bio for pretty much everything). I think the issue is not mainly consuming it, but the amount and what I‘m willing to pay for it. I think good quality - which includes decent living conditions for the animals - is worth its price.

That‘s probably not enough for you and you are entitled to that opinion. I‘m likewise entitled to my dietary choice.

@tom112 I have a son and I am not married with my partner.
Pensionskasse is something that I have to concider.
My savings are on my name and if something happens my parents have the "vollmacht".

Is there a short summary of your thoughts in your situation and something you would find very important in my situation?

@sarahavian As you are not married, your son is currently the only one entitled to an inheritance. If you want your partner to receive something as well, you need to make a will. Keep in mind your son‘s minimal entitlement of 50% of what he would get by law, so half of your estate. You can therefore give your partner maximum 50% if you would like to.
Definitely look into the rules of your Pensionskasse. Also consider your pillar 3a. Without any other declarations, your son inherits it (you could also make your partner the beneficiary using a form provided by the bank). As far as I understand, your pilliar 3a is part of your regular assets (like any other bank accounts). So, also when deciding on the beneficiary for that, you may need to consider the Pflichtteil (there can be different beneficiaries for different 3a accounts, though, so this could also be worth considering if a lot of your assets is in those).

I would also consider a Vorsorgeauftrag. There is also the possibility to set up a document saying who should become your son‘s guardian in case something happened to both parents. I don‘t know the details on that, though, as I don‘t have kids.

@lauriluillier If you become incapacitated, the KESB will appoint a Beistand. If there‘s someone close to you who is willing and able to fill that role, this person can be appointed as Privatbeistand. As this person has not been appointed by you, they have more reporting to do to the KESB (which as someone pointed out in a comment can also be seen as an advantage). If there is no person in your family or among your friends who wishes and is able to take on this role, a Berufsbeistand is appointed (a professional of the KESB). So, in any case you will be taken care of, the question is just by whom. If you have specific wishes on who that dhould be, a Vorsorgeauftrag is a good idea.

Regarding the will, there are legal provisions who inherits how much of a person‘s estate. If you don‘t have a will, these will be applied. If these correspond to what you want, you don‘t have to make a will.

@klewanne Social insurance is an important topic. You can only get a survivor pension from the first pillar if you were married to the person who passed away. In the second pillar, it depends on the provisions made by your pension fund. Only spouses are legally entitled to survivor pensions there as well, but pension fund can grant them to unmarried partners under circumstances. You should contact your pension fund to see what the provisions are.

Another topic to consider is inheritance taxes. Spouses are exempt in most places, while unmarried partners have to pay the rate for completely unrelated people in most places. This can cost a good portion of the inheritance.

On the other hand, when married your combined old age pension is maximum 150% of the individual maximum pension and tax-wise, you may be affected by the Heiratsstrafe. So, if you consider marriage for economic reasons mostly, there are more considerations to be made.

@scofieldk Because I wanted some extra security that no one can call it into question. I am almost blind and while I have sufficient residual vision to handwrite a will using assistive technology, it may be hard to determine in the future if that was truly the case (if one reads my medical records, this really isn‘t that clear and my lawyer also wasn‘t entirely sure how this would possibly play out). My estranged family could have an interest in calling this into question (although I doubt that this would occur to them, but you never know especially given their strong dislike for my partner…). This way I have a notary and two witnesses who attested that I established it myself.