I hope I can get y’all’s help :)

ben1996

So I reversed into a car, my fault. I have insurance but he doesn’t. How does he claim against my insurance if he doesn’t have any? I don’t really know how this works.

@ben1996 In 99.9999999% of situations, the insurance status of the other driver is not relevant when it comes to property damage. You caused the damage, so your insurance will pay for it.

The 0.0000001% or whatever is the edge case of an uninsured person in Indiana who had been cited within the last 5 years for not carrying insurance -- that is the only instance where he would not be entitled to payment for his damages.

There are some states that bar an uninsured person from recovering non-economic damages ("pain and suffering" is the common term) for injuries they sustain in an accident, but their medical bills would still be covered.

@justluck1234 I feel like this random bit of obscure knowledge about Indiana insurance law has now taken the place of something important that I needed to remember. Take your upvote.

EDIT: Everything I'm reading says the no-pay/no-play statute in Indiana is only for non-economic damages. Also Louisiana and New Jersey bar recovery even for economic damages in certain situations where liability would otherwise exist.

@resjudicata You can switch it to a downvote lol. Could have sworn it was no specials for PD and no generals for BI but guess I remembered wrong. I will not soon forget the dishonor I've brought upon myself

@ben1996

I am a bot whose sole purpose is to improve the timeliness and accuracy of responses in this subreddit.

Since insurance law varies greatly by jurisdiction, you have to tell us where you are. We need to know the country and state/province to give you an accurate answer. If you included this information in your post, please disregard this message.

LocationBot 4.99998891 [sup]109/37rds[/sup] | Report Issues | adEb1pVeCtmYyUjb