I have PCOS...

tuur

I have PCOS and currently applying a Life Insurance. The insurance company have rated me and removed critical illness benefit from the proposed policy. I have undergone check up and meeting with them. When I asked an explanation for the rating, the agent just sent me a screenshot of email from their underwriter that says "to delete Critical Illness Benefit due to PCOS". The agent said that the basis was the consultation and latest ultrasounds.

I just want a detailed explanation to know why the Critical Illness Benefit was removed. I understand that I have PCOS , but I want details of their assessment. Did they see it as severe and life threatening? Did they see it as not manageable?

Because from what I see, it's not affecting my life that much. In fact, last year, both my ovaries are polycystic, but now, it's just one. And I have disclosed this on the checkup, too.

My questions are:
1. Do I have a right to request this detailed assessment information?
2. Do other insurance companies give normal rates depending on the severity of PCOS?
3. Is it such a bad thing to have a rated insurance policy on my record in case I accept these terms? Where else should this record matter aside from applying for another insurance policy?

@tuur
  1. Yes, you can ask the FA to request the result of the assessment from Underwriting. However, they might only release it after you acquired the insurance but you can still try.
  2. Yes, other companies provide standard (normal) rating with Critical Illness coverage can still be given to someone with PCOS especially if there are no other health issues like overweight, high blood pressure, etc. We have clients who PCOS but were given a standard rating and approved for critical illness coverage.
  3. I have a client who had a record with another insurance company for declaring her health issues (though not PCOS) but did not undergo the checkups necessary, she was rated so she did not pushed through with the application. Her record appeared when we were processing her application and was required to undergo medical exams. Fortunately, the result came out negative for everything she declared and was issued a standard rating.
Lesson, you can try applying for the same coverage from another company. Interpretation of result is different for different companies. Some are very strict with their evaluation and automatically give rated or declined application.

Also, if you undergone other test, they might have seen something was off which is related to your PCOS so asking for the result would be a good option. PCOS in and of itself, especially if not severe, should not be a cause for decline for CI coverage.

@tuur Hello, OP!

I'm not sure if you still need help with this as this has been posted 3 months ago na. Anyway, to answer your question:
  • Yes, with the help of your FA, you can try to request for the detailed assessment. However, it is still up to the underwriters if they will provide it or not.
  • Yes, other insurance companies, and with us at Pru, gives normal rating with critical illness as long as the underwriters don't find your PCOS to be high risk.
  • Aside from it staying on your record, no, there will be no other bad things in relation to your insurance application.
If you have more questions or need help, just reach out and I'll try to provide you with answers. :)