makaylaglynn

So, I have 300k USD sitting on my German PayPal. It's money I have earned over the years as a freelancer. Why are the money still there you would ask? Well, because:
  1. The money/financing matters stress me out so I preferred to procrastinate and thus did nothing with those money.
  2. I was hoping to find a good time when the conversion rate USD-to-EUR was favorable and transfer the PayPal dollars to my German EUR bank account. (Stupid beginner strategy?)
Some info about me:
  • I am a freelancer in Germany getting paid with dollars to my PayPal
  • Never made contributions to any public or pension funds (I am 35).
  • Not owning any real-estate.
  • I am non-EU citizen staying with a German residence permit.
  • I am not 100% sure I will stay in Germany in the future
Please note that I completely understand I have been loosing money due to inflation and missed investment opportunities. So, what happened, happened. Also, I wanted to say that I am so happy I found this group. I have been eyeing r/personalfinance but their [American] vocabulary (e.g., 401, credit score, etc.) sounded completely alien to me.

So, what do I do?

Edit 1: I am looking at options that are easy to implement, safe, and stress-free tax-wise. I am not interested in maximizing profits with riskier methods.

Edit 2: I don't understand why many in the comments assume no tax has been paid on that money. It's PayPal money. That doesn't make it untaxable. Also, I am not asking how do I transfer my money from PayPal to my bank account. I have done that many times to pay the tax. I am asking about investing options.

@starryeyedmarisol I was living abroad a couple years ago working as a freelancer. PayPal froze my withdrawal and I ran out of money before they finally released it (3 weeks altogether). Bills went unpaid, they shut off my internet and phone and I had basically 0 money for 3 days. Couldn't do anything but wait 3 days in my bed and binge watch shows and fast (didn't speak the language and I worked from home). Lost hella lot in weight, so I guess its not all bad.

@oceanbreeze4evr Your experience makes for a great story but I wouldn't stay in bed with no food hoping PayPal will release my funds lol. You might starve before they do.

You can always go to a fastfood place and approach a friendly face to ask for a meal. People are many times more likely to buy you some food than to give money.

@kvarsh I had a small amount of money coming every month from my home country (the actual date I received my money from PayPal was a week or smth later). In addition, I didn't speak a lick of French and going to a McDonalds to find an English speaker and ask them for food seemed worse than waiting it out for 3 days in my bed bingewatching Chuck.

@tammyl Here's a sneak peek of /r/paypal using the top posts of the year!

#1: DO NOT LEAVE FUNDS IN YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT...

#2: How PayPal stole 1000$ from me.

#3: Just wanted to say fuck PayPal

[sup][sup]I'm[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]a[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]bot,[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]beep[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]boop[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Downvote[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]to[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]remove[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Contact[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]me[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Info[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]|[/sup][/sup] [sup][sup]Opt-out[/sup][/sup]

@makaylaglynn I don't think it will matter, I would assume all listed issues were due to AML reasons and they could just as well freeze your accounts in EU if they believe you cant justify your income

@makaylaglynn The problem with PayPal are very bad fees and PayPal conversion rates. They can take you up to 3,5% if you transfer them to a bank account in EUR because they will try to force you to convert with their rates.

If you find a smart solution to avoid this, let me know. I'm Italian and I have this problem (with a lot of less money, like less than 5k usd 😅)