I do not understand investing, like at all

sophiaaihpos

Growing up we were ‘working class’. Our bills were paid, we took one family road trip every summer. We were comfortable in our LCOL area.

I’ve worked hard and make about $60K + free housing in a HCOL area of California.

My parents are the ‘put your money in the bank’ type. I know for my generation that’s not going to pan out.

These are my investments:
  1. 403b $41000
  2. 403b $10000
  3. Money markets $7000
  4. CDs $13000
I’m contributing 25% of my salary. But when I look at all the options I have to allocate my money to I…. Don’t understand. At all. Right now I have most of it (~90%) in a targeted fund for my estimated retirement year. I’m keeping with inflation but barely.

I’m worried about my future. I’m disabled and I do not know if I will be able to work until I’m 67. My work is a non profit with disabled seniors (mostly) and I REFUSE to scrape by on the crumbs of only social security. I don’t want to have to count every single penny in my later years.

Advice on how to proceed??

@sophiaaihpos
I have most of it (~90%) in a targeted fund for my estimated retirement year. I’m keeping with inflation but barely.

Honestly this is fine if the expense ratio is low. Go to /r/bogleheads or /r/personalfinance or /r/fire for better investing info. In general buy Index funds of either total market, SP500, or spice it up with some international and forget. There is a saying of VTSAX and relax for a reason. Just need to work on your composure to not sell in a downturn like so many do and lose all their gains for it.

Now the next part is WHERE to save. You mention a nonprofit do they have an employer sponsored retirement account? (Edit: you are already using your 403b great!) If they have a match contribute to that account to meet the match as thats a free gain on your money. After that contribute to an IRA (roth or traditional but at your income I'd lean Roth). Then buy your target date fund or low expense (like lower than .2% yes .2 not 2) index fund and move on. Set dividends to reimburse and you are good to go.

@sophiaaihpos This is a great fund to put your retirement savings in. Vanguard is the gold standard for target date funds. If you want to keep it simple, you could go 100% in that fund and it will serve you well. Just don’t leave retirement savings in cash/money markets which is a common mistake.

@phil4508 That’s really helpful. I’m using my MM and CDs more as a mid term savings like my car sinking fund and saving up for travel + my emergency fund. I’m not looking for them as long term retirement savings

@sophiaaihpos It’s good to have both. You don’t want your emergency fund or car/house savings in the stock market.

VFFVX is essentially a single fund that invests in stocks and bonds from all over the world. Because we are still over 30 years from 2055, it is heavily weighted towards stocks which will have the greatest potential for growth but also the greatest volatility. Over the long term it will likely grow about 8-10% per year, but looking at individual years it could be down 20% one year and up 40% the next. Over the last 3 years it has only averaged +5% (roughly equal to inflation as you said) because 2022 was a terrible year for the stock market, but years like that are not the norm.