I did not pay a fee 30 ys ago

calebtheclown

Hi after my US divorce in 89 I - it is a fictive I bit about a friend but i feel it cd have happened to me] fled to my EU home country. In 90 my former landlord found [ allegedly] some minor fault [ a grafitti by my ex hubby] in my former rented flat and called the authorities and they gave a 1000 USD fee. Now my US passport got invalid. But I do not dare to ask the Embassy...as they will then ask my address...which means even if I get a new passport...they can find me and enforce this fee. Can they? How can I ask a new passport? Am I paranoid ? Maybe I should accept going to prison? I am 70 and not very healthy. Maybe it is even good for me as without Social Sec and pension I am just given charity here. I see my mistake. But is there some way out? If i tell this to the Ambassador...am I endangering myself?

@calebtheclown You can not go to prison for failing to pay a fee, it is a civil law matter and there is no chance of jail.

Also, dude, it was 33 years ago, it’s almost certainly been forgotten by now. The landlord might even be dead

@ck_49 Yes i am sorry it is friends story [ i simplified writing it in first person] and i hear it daily as she lives nearby and having no papers i as a social worker must care for her meals [ due to my cafeteria being enough for me my wife and to them]. But I want to arrange somehow to get a new passport and get some charity instead of our Ex Russian gulag slave farm in the free world, with the US citizenship.

@minhnguyen2k Yes. Thanks to god it is an old friend not me - just easier to ask in first person. Of course I need info to calm them...like how many USD may be today a 1000 $ fee of 30 ys ago...it might be handled with a kickstarter or so.

@mihailolt Sure...but I wrote the story to the Embassy to look it up - I am just a social worker in the neighbourhood but for the sake of clarity...i wrote it in first person...[ and I also have double citizenship anyway so it could have happen to me too.]EDIT but i do see that such smaller penalties lose their validity...and yes it is a paranoid structure...