I bought a a cryptocurrency coin I made a lot of money but I think its not halal

aussiejo

Hi. 1 year ago, I bought a coin called AAVE. I did not do my research at that time. Today I found out that it worth nearly 1 bitcoin, which is nearly 60k. After a little research, I found out that It is a platform for lending coins/money with intrest. Now I think it is not halal. I'm not sure. But if it is not. What to do now?

And should I calculate it in my zakah?

Update :

For anyone searching .After contacting a multiple imams and viewed a fatwa from ibn uthaymeen:

If you buy stock with a bank that uses riba and you did not know you have to cash it out once you know it's fatwa . And it would be halal to use its money.

But any profit is made once you know its haram it becomes haram money .

After cashing out the full amount with the current price you can donate some of it as a good gesture.

for more https://islamqa.info/ar/answers/255...تعلم-بالتحريم-فماذا-يلزمها-في-الاسهم-وارباحها

If the stock /currency gave any any profit from you being a stockholder that I do no know but its irrelevant to my concern since I did not collect any

@aussiejo I am interested to know what is the consensus on this. A lot of cryptos are used for various use and needs and it is really hard to know where they fall under the halal perspective.

If you buy a coin, do you support/invest in the block chain project?

Edit: It is also worth to cross check @ halalinvestor subreddit.

@aussiejo The entire cryptomarket has become a bit like a ponzi-scheme, so be careful. Now, regarding the interest and the coin. The coin itself derives its value from the way the smart-contract works. And the smart contract uses interest based lending to create value for investors/token holders.

Now, if you had money and invested it in a illegal business, you would be held responsible for your investment, the same I think applies with the Tokens. You are holding a token that has value made of Riba.

Now, best thing you should do is find your favorite Muslim charity and donate.

For anyone searching .After contacting a multiple imams and viewed a fatwa from ibn uthaymeen:

If you buy stock with a bank that uses riba and you did not know you have to cash it out once you know it's fatwa . And it would be halal to use its money.

But any profit is made once you know its haram it becomes haram money .

After cashing out the full amount with the current price you can donate some of it as a good gesture.

for more https://islamqa.info/ar/answers/255...تعلم-بالتحريم-فماذا-يلزمها-في-الاسهم-وارباحها

If the stock /currency gave any any profit from you being a stockholder that I do no know but its irrelevant to my concern since I did not collect any

@aussiejo I think you will just have to donate it if it is haram. Donate it in Ramadan, but I don't think you will have hassanat of donating it becuz. Check it out on youtube! You'll make a lot of people happy. I think this is a test that you can either pass or fail. Good luck to u!

otherwise, ask in the crypto sub if the AAVE if it derives its value from interest, just to check if it s really halal or haram, but don't tell them anything about halal or haram so that they won't be biased