I am 24M. Am I too stingy? Need your advice

@transformedmind But then OP isn’t revealing how much is he actually spending as he has not revealed money got from parents.

What if he has a nice car which he got and petrol cost is covered by parents. He has mentioned he splurges on food and drinks. What is his parents pay every time they went out. What if his parents are taking care of all food and groceries ordered. That wouldn’t make him a spendthrift then.

I mean if we include all that, I was saving 100% of my 0 income while in school and engineering college. Like I said in my initial comment, OP hasn’t given the full details.

@ajewelinhiscrown So you’re earning about 50k per month and you manage to save 95% of that?!!
You’re living on 2.5k per month? How! I think you have much more to teach us about managing finances than the other way around!

You’re doing fine, whether you are being overly stingy or not depends on the amount you’re restricting yourself and the impact that is having on you.

Personally, I think that your biggest problem is the income aspect. Your income is on the lower side, there is certainly a lot of scope for growth. You should attempt to do an MBA for increasing your income, improving your resume and skills and safeguarding yourself better from job loss.

@ajewelinhiscrown Everything comes down to how you feel about it . Basic needs are the needs that I need . Distinguishing between need and want is the basic stuff .. I know many of my friends spent 50 percent of their salaries but I almost saved 90 percent of it. I didnt do it consciously either .

I used to wonder am I doing something wrong . No I wasnt because I had all the things I need . Food, water , clothes , shelter .. good support . I used to be very contented . I have become more simpler and that's what others label me which means I wont invest in fancy watches or shoes or whatever . I still have so much clothes and every time I see my closet , I have the enough feeling .

Consumerism culture have took toll on this new world . Sometimes I used to compare me with others but I dont do this these days and I hav become contented with making my own choices .

When I dont eat to save money that's being stingy . If I eat or prepare my own food to save money it's not stingy . But if I want to prepare food when I m bedridden, fever or something , its stingy . Its depriving me . Because I would be tired and harming me by saving money .

If I go to state run healthcare for basic stuff, it's not stingy . But making myself to wait in long queues when I have serious health issue in government hospital especially if I have the money is stingy . Middle ground is to opt an insurance and spend for it rather than spending lakhs in private hospitals unprepared.

I dont invest in fancy watch or clothes unless it give me good return or quality. But if I need something really bad , I wouldn't hesitate to spend .

It's ok to save money . It's not ok to deny myself the basic needs . That's how I distinguish .

I also find no point in spending money to eat outside it's full of preservatives . My stomach doesn't feel right . But I do spend when my family is out of town and I dont have choice . But if I go out with others for dinner or if my friends come home, I do eat outside and dont make myself odd man out . My social need is much more important than my financial need .

I can give you lot of examples . There is no right or wrong answers . I make unique choices based on what I need . My income level have been varying a lot from being low income to high and middle . I just learnt to be flexible . I Give me choices and ask myself if I do something how would it make you feel and is it really a need ..

I do buy gifts for people I love and it makes me feel good . Sometimes openly tell me friends , this is my budget and you can buy anything you want for birthday within it or little extra . Lol . I do that as well .

@ajewelinhiscrown You're doing very well, 90% savings rate is amazing. If you feel like spending on something, go ahead.

Stop feeling guilty it's your own earned money. Ik easier said than done. Learning to spend is important as well, i know some relatives who are wealthy (in their 60s) but still are stingy and don't spend much and end up compromising their Quality of life to save money.

@olanrelekan He's living with his parents so he don't have to pay for rent, food, bills or anything that we have to do.
And the 5-6k he's spending that too is on drinks and eating out. Bro saving 90% like that is not that hard.

@ajewelinhiscrown You are doing good , aim higher and keep progressing.You say you dont buy material good for yourself that much, i don't see the problem here.you do you, moderation in everything is a good way to grow .you said eating good and drinking, i again fail to see the problem..it natural and normalyou are using money judiciously which is perfect, on the things you like..

i dont get the purse string concept /theory-

i would suggest investing money in active and moving industry assets, buying ownership slots etc. i would suggest starting or charting out your own venture or business or consultancy, which is self sustaining, think mid to long term.This should mitigate your concerns of perhaps getting laid off ,long -term.

From your way of writing things, i feel like you know subconsciously, that financial independence, security and knowledge is of utmost importanceso No, at your age of 24, M you aren't stingy, as much as your'e conscious.

@ajewelinhiscrown Don't think you are too stingy ... following are the standard spends of most boys before they get married

After Rent, normal food, normal cloths, etc
  1. Eating out
  2. Drinking, smoking, etc
  3. Boy toys like expensive camera, speakers, bullet bike
  4. Cloths, purfumes, shoes
Most of the above is useless in the long run but brings very good joy in the short term (that's important too)

Then there is
  1. Travel
  2. Upskilling courses
Just remember when you get married (data suggests 96% of people marry ) your spending will multiply even if your spouse earns well. So save as much as you can right now, it's

@xman2007 Kya kare wo ? Clubs jaye ?? Swift ki jagah fortuner kharide ?? Rolex ki ghadi kharide ? KTM kharide ??

Apart from the fact that he isn't spending anything on tour and travel everything is going good