I’m trying to get a new car but can’t get insurance because I have lapse?

anotherwalker

So back in May I was in a no-fault accident and totaled my car by hitting a guard rail due to mechanical failure. Once that happened, I went through the claims process and everything my insurance ended up getting canceled because of the car getting totaled now it is September and I’m trying to get a car but I’m trying to get a insurance quote and everyone is saying I have a lapse of 31+ days? I thought a lapse is when you have a car but no insurance I had insurance but no car, so what is that considered and how do I get situated or cleared up? I need to get a car, but I can’t because of this issue. There were some other issues as well preventing me from getting a car. And yes I’ve tried Geico. I can’t get a quote with Progressive due to this and due to me living in New York, My insurance options are quite limited. It also doesn’t help that I’ve had two other no-fault accidents in the past three years. And yes, the reason why I’m getting denied is due to “ recent lapse of insurance”.

@anotherwalker You most definitely CAN get insurance, though it may cost more than you want to pay. Call an independent agent/broker. You may have to use the NYAIP (assigned risk) which you cannot access on your own. In NY, if you have plates you MUST carry insurance. If you sell your vehicle you MUST turn the plates into the DMV. no wiggle room.

@anotherwalker Yup, never let your insurance lapse. This is part of the importance of having an agent. They can advise on this. Typically you can suspend your policy, and keep it open until you buy a new car. It's the reason you should do anything you can to avoid a lapse of any kind, ever. You will essentially lose all prior insurance credit for your rating. You'll be able to find coverage, plenty of carriers will write with no prior, but usually a sub standard line.

@anotherwalker Yea it's the sad part about the industry. It's so important, and so many people have no clue. Again, when you get your insurance figured out, make sure you have an actual insurance agent. Not some Geico or Progressive direct crap. Someone that knows the business, and can help guide you on avoiding issues moving forward. Do what you need to do so you have coverage now, but shop it once you have 6 months -1 year of continuous coverage.

@anotherwalker Yup, that's the shitty part. I get it all the time. Former Geico customers call all the time, asking for a quote because they sold their car a few weeks ago and bought a new one just now. Screwed! Sometimes my own customers don't listen to me. I tell them all, because the last thing I want is to lose a policy, but even worse, is seeing someone come back and get declined, or rates 40% higher just because of a lapse in coverage. It will be expensive for now, but 6 months maybe the rates get better when you shop. If not, they will be in 1 year.

@anotherwalker Most insurance companies, can offer a non-owners policy. Meaning, you don't own a car, but it covers you. I gave the short version here. You won't have a lapse in auto insurance, which will keep your rates lower when you get a vehicle in the future. The cost is usually low.

@anotherwalker I moved from TX to GA, no at fault accidents, no tickets. Insurance quotes were insane (like $1000 per month) because I hadn’t been insured in GA for at least 6 months. Been insured for about 35 years in other states, never experienced anything like this anywhere.
I’ve been here 7 years, one accident with uninsured driver hitting me. My insurance is $400 a month. In TX I was hit by an uninsured driver and my premium didn’t go up at all.
It’s insane. No wonder people drive uninsured when it’s more than their rent.