I’m not sure if I have everything I need financially

@riadse Hello, I never went to Uni. I work as a cleaner for a state hospital in rural NSW. It pays $61k. It’s the only job I can get because I don’t have qualifications. I am happy though because I have a great boss and the work isn’t hard.

Work history: dental assistant 5 months, assistant for 4 years, cleaner for 4 years. I haven’t contributed much to super except $50 or $100 here or there. I cut back a lot. Most of my savings came from cleaning job though.

@tsw613 Just wondering how you worked as a dental assistant and teachers aide without going to uni? (Or did you do TAFE courses in these things)

Anyway congrats on your hard work paying off/starting to pay off, your post has inspired me :)

@tothesky Thank you.

Dental assisting can be done through a traineeship at a practice with some online courses to complete.

Teacher Aide is something you can do without a certificate or experience. You can generally learn on the job. I was not in TAFE.

@tsw613 Hm thanks, that’s interesting- did you find those jobs online or did you know people that helped you get a job when there was an opening?

@tothesky I’ve lived in this small town for a long time. It’s easier to get a job in a small town. I just walked in with my resume and asked for the teacher aide job. Same thing with the cleaning job.

Be nice be friendly and ask around about jobs. Ask people you know if they know about any jobs.

@riadse If she went to Uni and finished at 21 then that's 4 years of earning for 12.5k Super a year at 10.5% that's a salary around 120k. If working since 18 (7 years) then it's an average salary of 68k. Could be voluntary contributions or an employer who pays higher super, University sector is often near 20%

@riadse Similar to how OP described, I didn't go to Uni and just worked full time when I was 18 to present. When I was 16-18 working causally in high school I also utilized the government co-contribution and put in 1000 a year into my superfund and got $500 added to my balance for doing so. Glad I did it then and I encourage any young person to do so, if their position allows.

@tsw613 I'd say as well, if you haven't already, read the barefoot investor. It's a bit cliché and is mentioned a lot in this sub but it does provide a good outline to structuring your finances. If you're saving for a property, as others said, investigate FHSSS, contribute everything you can. Build up your emergency fund first though, and have that money accessible easily, that is what your emergency fund is for. It sounds like you're doing everything right already.