I’m finding it really hard to get motivated to go back to work after 5 months out.

@californiachristian234 No but it was a delicate situation.

I mean when a company who have been fantastic suffer that kind of a setback, but still pay 400+ employees full rate for that length of time, everyone really respected that.

Now I don’t know the legalities around the situation, we all had meetings around mental health and wellbeing, how we were coping after the fire and the snippet I personally got told by HR was that you could seek part time work but if you took another FT opportunity, they would want you to resign.

@jdsh419 That's fair enough, if you personally wanted to respect the companies wishes with regards to full time work, but as you said, they were fine with you seeking part time work, which you also chose not to do. Perhaps this is a sign of depression so I would definitely advise you to see your GP.

I know you've been dealt a shit hand the last couple of years, but hopefully you will come out of this trying period in your life stronger, not weakened.

@marc201311 So between Feb 5th and June 23rd, I was not at work but I was receiving full pay. If I wanted to get another job in that time frame, I could have but I was expected to resign at my old job and forfeit any earnings there would be.

So basically I was officially unemployed and redundant June 23rd. I was job hunting from the middle of June.

@jdsh419 Yes but you are now totally broke, so you did not job hunt or save up. I feel sorry for you but really not that much - you have to think things through and plan out options and what ifs. It is called ‘adulting’. So now sign up for some temp agencies, I presume you have a forklift cert? If not try and get one it will help you get a warehouse job, if you get a job tell them you want to advance, offer to learn, shipping or receiving plus all the computer operations you can learn not just on the scanner but on the PC. You have to prep for a better paying job and believe it or not warehouse work is a great place to start.

@jdsh419 Looking at it, your bills comes to £460 a month + paying back credit/loans. As long as you stop taking out further credit, that's not too bad.

I'd probably look at seeing if you can get further warehouse work temporarily and sticking it out, even if it's terrible. Pay off loans/credit with that. Cut out any excess like nights out, drinking, etc even if you've got the money.

While doing this, perhaps look at apprenticeships. The pay is terrible in most cases, but doable after removing the loans/credit. It'd get you out of the temp jobs in warehouses. Depending on your interests/skills, you might want to look into stuff like automotive, carpentry, electrical/gas, etc which could lead to a career with decent pay. Avoid stuff like customer service apprenticeship.

@jdsh419 Go to the doctors mate, explain your situation and lack of motivation/low mood. Trust me, they will help you.

However, If you want to get out of this situation then you have to do the hard work yourself.

Honestly, you've been dealt a shit hand, I get it. BUT, you're only 26 and you have a lot to look forward to.

Best of luck pal.

@jdsh419 I was homeless for a few years, got a part time job at pizza express, rented a negative 2 star hotel room, honestly it was horrible, but it meant I could have my kid back.

Then I got a warehouse job which turned into a desk job, when I showed that I could actually use google sheets.

Met the IT team, and a year later I was hired by one of them as a Junior developer for a massive law firm.

I currently has massive debt from my previous relationship before I was homeless, but in 20 months I can visit a beach then save for a house.

I'm 30 years old, my kid is 6.

Don't give up.

@jdsh419 If you've got a letter saying you are redundant then get yourself signed up for whatever benefits are available for you, that should cover your commitments in the short term at least.

Having nearly been made redundant myself a few months ago I found out that most job centres have a fund available for people made redundant to go towards training courses etc to get them back in employment.

At 26, you've still got your whole life ahead of you and a chance to rebuild and build the life you want.

Apprenticeships as mentioned earlier are a potential good idea, if you really want to try something new you could maybe try something like the merchant navy and go and see a bit of the world whilst being paid for it.

@jdsh419 The fact that you posted here shows that you do want to get out of your situation but you clearly need help in figuring out how. Good start!

You are only 26 with your whole life ahead of you so please don't think that you have screwed your life over.

You need to tackle this in bite sized chunks. You may want to seek help on the mental side of things - I'm not familiar with the organisations but there must be help for depression - maybe start with your doc.

You have a roof over your head even if it is your grand parents. It may not be ideal but this is a stable place to live whilst you get back on your feet right?

I'm afraid that work won't come to you - you need to find it. Register with all the local agencies, get your cv up to date (they should be able to help with this). There are loads of online job boards worth checking out (jobsite, monster, Reed etc).

I wouldn't be too proud about your next job - it doesn't have to be the job of your dreams. It's a means to an end to get some cash coming in and give you some continuity of employment. Stack shelves at Tescos if necessary.

You will get over this hump but you need to put the effort in. Do you have family or friends you can talk to? Maybe someone who can help you put a plan together and hold you to account. Eg this week I'm going to do X. They could help you keep on track with what you have committed to do.

Good luck to you.

@jdsh419 May as well start labouring for a tradesmen so you can learn a trade. You’ll be surprised how quick you pick it up, the more you earn the more you invest in yourself (tools and courses) and you’ll be surprised where you are in a year or twos time. If you academic go for plumbing/electrical, or if you want something more physical go scaffolding/brickie

That’s my advice anyway.

& if you’re really struggling and depressed, get yourself down a local community friendly boxing/muay Thai/karate/ etc etc class twice a week. Make some new friends and get out the house.

Good luck.

@jdsh419 My first day back at work today on a 4 month contract after being out for 9 months. It’s a basic job but I’m easing myself back into it and fixed term contract was a good way.

My anxiety is through the roof but for me, it’s an easy job with some spending money.

Good luck pal. Drop me a message if you wanna chat.

@jdsh419 How do you feel about an apprenticeship? You can get them in some interesting fields like IT, engineering, pharma. The starting pay is below minimum wage but you can pick up part time work around it say as a bartender, and within a couple years have an interesting career with great earning potential.

@jdsh419 I can relate to your current situation. I was in pretty much the same place as you after uni when I'd split up with first long term girlfriend and dropped out during my final year. Life seemed very bleak but 10 years later here I am married and a fairly decent job which I worked up to from an entry position.

There's already loads of good tips in here so I won't bother re-posting the same things that have already been posted numerous time.

All I'll say is that things can and more importantly WILL get better as long as you don't give up. People have gone though what you're going through and worse and at an older age and manage to get things back on track. Me saying this isn't designed to make you feel worse. It's meant to let you know that there is a way forward and that you can do this.

You have a roof over your head and family. You might not appreciate it but you're already doing better than a lot of people out there and have a very good opportunity to turn things around as long as you don't give up.

It won't be quick and it won't always be pretty but you will get there.

@jdsh419 Sorry, but you need to take a job. If you dont like the company, pay, whatever, tough. Take it until you get something better. That is the only way you can take control of the situation.

@jdsh419 Try getting a job at one of the Amazon warehouses. The pay is very high for the job you do and more often than not the 10 hour day goes by quickly. 4 days a week on nights and you'll get about 400

@jdsh419 You're only 26, just go and try new things, you might find something that actually interests you. If you hate your job, leave it, move to another part of the country, get a new job, get a new room to rent and make some new friends or experiences. Do something different.

If the jobs you are applying for are so bad you can't even be bothered to apply then how can you expect to enjoy it if you do find one. Why don't you just get a job in a pub somewhere to pay the bills and then start fresh. Apply for jobs you have no experience doing, but try to show them you have a good attitude and you're a grafter, although to be honest you don't sound like one. You need to work on the way you come across.