I’m 18 and I have no idea what I’m doing

irehs27

Hey Reddit peoples so pretty much my situation is that I’m gonna be buying a Toyota off of my moms boyfriend. Currently I only have my permit so idk if I can even get car insurance T-T
I would ask my mom but she doesn’t drive and therefore doesn’t have a car so I don’t think she’d know anything about this and idk who to ask

So pretty much my questions are:
-What insurance should I get
-Can I even get insurance
-how do I get insurance
-Do I need to switch the name of the car from his to mine + if I do how do I do that?

Reddit save me pls

@irehs27 Need to know what state/country you're in, as laws differ by location.

You can't insure the vehicle if you don't own it, so the title needs to be in your name.

Instead of spending time calling a bunch of agencies, you can contact one independent agent, and they can quote you with multiple companies. They can explain exactly what coverage you need and help you find the best deal. No one can predict which company will be best for you because there are too many rating factors that are unique to each company.

It's going to be very expensive because you're a young, brand new driver, and you're on your own policy. Your location matters a lot for this, but expect to pay at least a few hundred per month. Make sure you have good liability limits, as you don't want to end up being sued because you caused an accident and had minimal coverage.

@irehs27 Call the department of motor vehicles of your state and ask how you can get the car into your name. Definitely put the car in your name. Next call around some insurance companies like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, etc. and ask questions. There will be a deductible (money paid upfront) in the event that you get into an accident. It’s usually between $500 and $1000. I prefer to have $500 deductible but a lower deductible on your insurance will cost more per month (or 6 months depending how you pay) than $1000 deductible. That’s how much you will have to pay upfront if you get into an accident if it’s your fault.

I’m actually here because my insurance company wants me to pay six months upfront which I absolutely cannot afford to do right now. There must be some kind of article in here on what the best insurance companies are. Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask questions at the motor vehicle department and the insurance companies. Take notes, ask questions and compare.

@irehs27 Does your mother own her home? Or does she have renters insurance? If she can put you on any of her insurance plans, it’ll possibly save you for bundling! As long as you live under her roof, your first call should be to her insurance company if she has one.

If not, does anyone else under her roof have car insurance? Would they be willing to add you?

Best of luck.

Yes go to the DMV and get the title into your name!

@irehs27 No company will insure you with just a permit.
You need a licensed driver on the policy if you have a permit.
Once you have your license Google independent insurance agency that specializes in high risk auto n insurance.