Hypothetically, what would happen if you just didn’t acknowledge the notice of rent increase (i.e., pretended you never received it)?

rns52

Say, if you’re on periodic tenancy in NSW, and your bare minimum, but fairly greedy proper manager sent you a rent increase notice (via email), could you just pretend like you never received it and essentially buy yourself another two months (at the old rate)? (Obviously, assuming you wanted to be a jerk and all). I know that would still have to give you 90 days to end your lease.

Curious about this. Believe me I’m a good tenant (but asking this question is somewhat cathartic).

Edit: Not so serious post being taken way too seriously

@rns52 The "what would happen if I just ignored it" question is one of the best in any context. I love that.

Let your nuts hang homie.

@rns52 Yea I reakon that wouldn't fly, if they can show the email successfully was sent, like their other prior emails, then you should have received it.

They could request that you back pay this, or as technically you'd be behind in rent they may commence the eviction process and take it from the bond, but more likely the first action

@rns52 Kinda went through this last year, although in the dispute we proved we paid rent on time with 6 1/2 years of payment historyb(on time and correct amount) while REA had switched systems and could only show 7 or 8 months.

We got an SMS from the REA saying our rent was in arrears by 6 days. We disputed that and asked that it be investigated. Didn't hear anything after that fir a while.

A few months later, we got a formal Notice of Breach in the mail sayingwe were 9 days in arrears. We paid it but formally disputed this and demanded they review and provide a copy of the rent roll. We resolved it the next day - got an apology, credit of the amount we paid on receiving the breach etc.

So for you OP, I would imagine they will record the shortfalls in your payment until this gets to a figure where this escalates and you're issued a breach. Not sure of your State or Territory, but my understanding was that for us in Queensland, if we were issued a second Breach, we could be evicted in 2 weeks even if we remedied. That's why we paid the 9 days rent (removing grounds for a second Breach to be issued whilst we dispute) and asked for confirmation from them that they had issued it in error.

Got all the bond we claimed at end of that lease too.

@rns52 This is going to depend on the State, and the efficiency of the property manager.

In Queensland, a systemised PM will reach out 2-3 months before the lease is up to see if you want to renew. That’s when the rent increase conversation will be had.

If you haven’t signed the new lease with the new rent 2 months from the end date, they’ll issue you formal notice to leave when the lease expires. That’s because up here the Landlord (in normal circumstances) needs to give 2 months’ notice (tenants 2 weeks’).

Rarely do they actually want you to leave, it’s just the legal paperwork so if you “just ignore it” then you get booted rather than rolling onto a periodical lease at the old rent.

@rns52 Most systems now show when you open emails etc. but regardless your tenancy agreement will usually also have a section where you accept to have formal notices sent to a given address.

If sent to you (and lawful) you will be required to pay.

Back