Hurricane Fiona Relief Fund vs Insurance

notredamefan

Long story short, our home suffered damage during the hurricane. Very unfortunately for us, we had to let our home insurance go a month beforehand due to some especially difficult circumstances. We lost about 10% of our roof (about 5% of the sheathing and 10% of the shingles), siding on three sides of the house, one whole side of our privacy fence along the back of our property, the external heat pump unit and lines were damaged, garage door. Then damage inside thanks to the roof damage - insulation and drywall in two bedrooms upstairs, down into the living room in one area of ceiling and wall, then into the basement. We lost all kinds of stuff in the basement - don't even get me started on that 😅

Here's my question: The relief fund the province has set up states that it's meant to cover losses not covered by insurance but isn't meant to replace insurance. What kind of losses would that be? One example given was appliances such as washer and dryer but that was the only specific example. I've searched Google a few times now but I'm coming up empty. Any information you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance. 🙏🏻