How to Buy Cryptocurrencies with CHF and with a Cold Wallet?

deano1

Here is my problem: I have a Trezor Safe 3 Wallet and I want to regularly buy certain cryptocurrencies (weekly) while keeping them secure in my cold wallet. For your information, I’m somewhat of a beginner in this field, but I still have some basic knowledge.

Since I have CHF in my account, the number of possibilities is quite limited. After browsing many blogs, Reddit posts, and YouTube videos, I’ve seen numerous different solutions/methods such as:
  • Converting CHF to EUR and sending the EUR to Binance via SEPA
  • Transferring CHF to Kraken, buying USDT with CHF, and then sending the USDT to Binance
  • Buying cryptocurrencies directly on Swissborg
  • Going through Gemini, Uniswap Protocol, Paraswap, cBridge...
  • Buying directly via the Trezor Suite app
So my questions are as follows:
  • Is it really worth implementing a DCA strategy using completely decentralized processes like the Uniswap Protocol?
  • Or is it better to buy through an exchange like Kraken or Binance and then send the cryptos to a cold wallet?
  • How can I buy Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies with CHF without paying too many fees and without going through countless steps?
  • Do you have any advice or feedback to share?
Since this field is not easy to grasp immediately, I find that being Swiss with a currency much less used than EUR or USD makes things even more complicated unless I convert a large sum of money directly into one of these currencies (which I want to avoid due to the depreciation of these currencies over time).

@jenisi Because then, I have to pay the transaction fees and the fees for sending my Bitcoin or other cryptocurrency to my cold wallet, essentially paying numerous fees.

@deano1 Another alternative: Create a monerium account. It gives you an IBAN where you can send euro to and it'll be directly sent to Ethereum/Polygon/Gnosis (one of your choice) as EURe stablecoin. Then use Uniswap or 1inch to swap them to a ETH/BTC/whatever.

To turn CHF to EUR you may use Revolut or Wise, which both have low conversion fees.

@deano1 Just use SwissBorg. Native support for CHF. Their engine computes the best order execution for you, so you don’t need to figure out CHF -> USDT -> BTC or CHF -> EUR -> BTC. They even have DCA. Seems like it checks all your boxes.

Send to your wallet once a month to avoid paying network fees during every withdrawal.

@deano1 SwissBorg has really good rates for fiat from/to crypto exchanges. Most of the time they’ve got better prices since they have better fees than individuals on exchanges. In some rare cases such as BTC/USD you might get a better price at Binance. However, since you need to exchange CHF first I doubt it.

SwissBorg often looks more expensive if you compare the fees. The other exchanges hide have lower fees but have hidden fees in their prices. SwissBorg is more transparent in that regard. In reality most of time you’ll get a better price (fees included) than other exchanges.

I work at SwissBorg, developing the OMS, the trading system that finds the best prices by routing the orders to different exchanges. Let me know if you’ve got any questions :)

@panictopeace Hey
So I‘ve got a question, just stumbled upon this thread and your reply. It‘s not related to the engine. But maybe you can share you insight. I‘ve been wondering if my keys ever wonder off to swissborg? Or is it like a wallet app where my key is hopefully never sent to the developer or the app e.g. Trust Wallet, Solflare, Phantom and others?
And they key is just imported for purpose of buying stuff?

@faithnotlost The private key of your wallets are not shared with SwissBorg. The information we have is what’s part of the transaction on the blockchain. The address of your wallet is part of that. The wallet address is a public address so that’s fine.

Your wallets are not linked with the SwissBorg app. You send us funds that we then store on our wallets. You can than exchange and when you want to withdraw your funds from SwissBorg you give us your wallet address (public) and we transfer you the money. You can deposit/withdraw from your bank account too.

I hope that answers.

@panictopeace Thank you for your explanation.

Okay good

The last part is kinda unclear to me.
So we transfer from bankaccount to swissborg and the money is on swissborg bankaccount assigned to my userprofile. If I buy e.g solana then swissborg will buy solana and send it to my wallet? If I have my cryptos on my swissborg app is it my wallet with my private key that I could import in another wallet app? Or will it just work on swissborg app?
If you say you transfer it meaning I send it to another wallet or if I buy cryptos on the swissborg app?

@deano1 I‘ve been using the services of the Swiss company www.youhodler.com since 2018 for cashing in and out CHF to CHF. I regularly compare their fees with those of other exchanges (including all those previously mentioned and additional ones), and they have consistently proven to be the most cost-effective option to my needs.