@lazareth I wouldn’t say Singapore is “full” of old people working. You definitely see some who are business owners, grab drivers or own hawker stalls selling products. And to be fair they may be old, but my understanding is a lot of these older people want to work. Most have family that are happily supporting them. I believe the work ethic and culture is different in Singapore and this culturally is what older people want.

Ie foreign works/death penalty. Yes the bleeding heart Irish rhetoric. It was common in Singapore amongst the short term expats as well. Sadly it has nothing to do with the economy and is cultural/legal, so I’m not going to comment besides yes I agree it’s sad, but it won’t change, and just because westerners perceive it as bad doesn’t make it so.

All the Singaporeans I know are very happy. Live in great accommodation (state subsidised), have a great income, access to great services, and can travel on multiple overseas holidays a year on their income. Sure there are a minority that are unhappy, as there are everywhere.

Side point, the core reason Ireland won’t hit its true potential is that your systems are fundamentally broken in government. And you put your heads in the sand here and refuse to fix them. Trying to divert attention to other external matters such as the Ukraine situation or another humanitarian crisis/global issues. Case in point, thousands turned up to a protest on roe vs wade but you can’t pull together a protest on housing.

Why is this? Your externally focused on trying to do the right thing in other peoples/worlds eyes. Trying to be the good guy constantly and prove you are caring and good little catholic boys and girls. Hence the welfare state, the ongoing housing crisis and the broken systems around you. It’s all been setup around this philosophy and sadly you can’t run and economy or society like this without punishing your citizens in the long term.

@holysoul93
  1. Bought young and multiple properties. In a growing market.
  2. Made capital gains from the sale of a couple of properties.
  3. Used that capital gain to invest in shares and more property.
  4. Moved to Singapore where tax is low, incomes are high.
  5. Bought property there.
  6. Move to Ireland, have cash and means, bought another property.
My plan is to own property across the world. And travel while doing it.

@ransomovitch For - limited - comparison, Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council built 50 homes last year and 6 in 2020.
The rest were acquired, leased from or built by AHBs - Circle, Simon, Focus etc., then you have HAP and RAS.