How much granularity does tax software actually s e n d ?

larry12009

I'm entering medical items and the amount, line by line (SimpleTax) and it helpfully keeps the running total. So how much of those items actually gets sent, or are even the individual amounts sent? Does it simply send the grand total?

BTW, is it normal for tax/financial software to truncate final cents zero digits? It looks frankly crappy:

Enter: 389.70

Displayed: 389.7

The final thing looks like:

52 4. 24

right-justified (I've added dots to simulate; they don't appear in the software display)

@larry12009
Does it simply send the grand total?

Yes. The CRA computers will just see the amounts entered on lines 33099 and 33199.

If you want to know what will be sent I suggest that you use the software to create a pdf of the condensed "for the government" version of the return. (The version you would use if you had to mail in your return.)

@blondebriana A 30-odd year habit; it's my custom, after a post has been seen and commented, to let the ball stay where it landed, in the odd occasion where someone is puzzled by material that no longer exists. In this instance, I don't imagine that would be the end of the world. But it seemed like a good idea at the time; also old habits are hard to break.