How has divorce affected u financially?

@jsw3883 Welcome to single life on a single income. You have been blessed with the benefits of a duel income to establish yourselves, you will still be far better off than anyone who has not had that for several years of asset development.

living pretty happy comfy lives.

You dont know this. Appearances can be deceiving. You dont know whether they are in crippling debt, whether they have had a leg up from parents, whether they screwed their ex in a divorce, or how their income relates to yours. The grass is always greener. You are surrounding yourself with those people, move to a low income suburb and there will be far more 40s divorcees on an okay income but struggling to get back on their feet.

@jsw3883 We split everything down the middle. Didn't have a huge amount, and neither could really afford to buy the other out of the house.

What killed me was maintaining a home for the kids (3 bedrooms) in the same area so they didn't have too much change. Their other parent did too, and the kids went 50/50.

It was fantastic for the kids but I couldn't save anything over that time.

Now I have a partner who left their relationship with pretty much nothing, and has 50/50 of two kids, plus pays child support.

So a 5 bedroom house was also a stretch even on two incomes.

Financially screwed, never been happier.

@homeby5 Similar, 50/50 parenting. She got 60% and bought a house, and my 40% is spent on school fees. I joke that my gift to the kids is an education and hers (I hope) is an inheritance.

Not really able to save/rebuild financially (child support and school is $90-100k per year) but now have a wonderful partner, and the kids are turning out remarkably well.

Wouldn’t want to go back to how things were.

@randy777 This is not at all similar to what I have described.

If school fees are that much you are paying for private school which is totally optional. My coparent and I contribute equally to kids costs and don't joke about our contributions being unequal.

If you have 50 per cent of kids time with you, you'll be required to pay child support if you earn a lot more than your coparent. As you should.

@homeby5 Point was not being able to save (and yes a chunk might be optional, but was a non negotiable for me), and being significantly happier despite it.

I didn’t joke about child support, I find it humorous as the way things were going neither schooling or inheritance wouldn’t have been possible, and now both are.

It’s sometimes funny how things turn out.

@avilasurfer Yeah, obviously moving costs money, but this isn't so much divorce hurting OP financially, but the fact that life is financially harder in general if you're single. The other side was if OP was never in this relationship, I don't think they would necessarily be in a better financial position today.

@jsw3883 I’m better off financially post divorce. There was very little equity in the family home ($50K max) and I was a stay at home parent after we moved regional for his work. I left him the house and everything in it, he gave me $15K, and I moved away. I returned to the workforce and haven’t looked back.

I may not own a home, and likely never will qualify for a loan now, but at least I can afford haircuts and to replace clothing for my kids and myself as needed. Those are luxuries we never had while with my ex.