How good is /r/ukpersonalfinance at predicting interest rates: a retrospective

christian2018

TLDR: I looked at old posts about interest rates and took reasonably upvoted predictions in some threads since 2021. As you might expect, most were confidently wrong, underestimating the rise. Possibly a product of only knowing historically low rates.

Date of prediction
Bank Rate at the time
Predicted Rate
Actual Bank Rate
Delta
25/04/2021
0.1%
Lower
1.75%
26/08/2021
0.1%
0.1% in 1 year
1.75%
16/02/2022
0.5%
No higher than 2%
4% 1 year later
20/03/2022
0.5%
Stall before 3%
4% 1 year later
02/05/2022
1%
5% worst case
5.25%
10/09/2022
1.75%
Never will go higher than 5%
5.25%
24/09/2022
2.25%
5% by Mid-2023
5% June 2023
19/10/2022
2.25%
Lower in 12-18m
5.25% 12m
25/11/2022
3%
4.5%
5.25%
16/12/2022
3.5%
Peak at 4.25%
5.25% 11m

Plotted on a graph: https://ibb.co/MV0Pqm0

Once the base rate started to rise at the end of 2021, I noticed more speculation in the community as to where rates might go. I wanted to look back to see how good the community was here.

I have taken the reasonably-upvoted guesstimates where I can. I was looking for fairly concrete predictions with an approximate date if possible. I tried to look for personal predictions, rather than a redditor quoting someone or something they read.

Personal takeaways:
  • Most people were wrong, and a lot were very confidently wrong. A lot of underestimates.
  • With that said, some people absolutely nailed it.
  • My big takeaway from trawling through this was that the people who listened to and quoted industry experts (which I did not include, I wanted personal predictions) were usually pretty much spot on. Who’d have thought!
  • Anecdotally, it seemed people who lived through previous high-interest decades were a lot more accurate about where things were going, even if they weren’t willing to give a prediction. I appreciate this is ‘outcome bias’. You could argue it was still a coin flip.
  • /@uriel_1 posts a lot, and gives good advice.
This is just for fun; it is not scientific. This is a sample of random redditors essentially. Plenty of users rightly said it’s impossible to predict, and often this was the highest comment.

Shoutout to this guy who was laughed at for suggesting getting a 10-year fix @ 2.8% (ok, he had a £9k exit fee, but it would still probably pay for itself over 10 years).

@cbmiller I've just fixed for 2 years at 6.8%, hopefully it improves by then. It's a small mortgage (65k) so I may not feel an increase too much, yet...

@resjudicata Yeah I got the rate in July, it's a joint borrower sole proprietor mortgage as I'm a student. They said if it was just me on my own it'd be a lower rate but also no one would lend to me as I didn't have enough taxable income lol.

@resjudicata fair enough to be downvoted but i kind of agree, i don’t know why people feel the need to post this when they know lots of people will read that and feel gutted

@katshavens The genius of fixing is you know your outgoings. Any strategy designed to ‘beat the market’ is likely to end in disappointment. I’d always take cost certainty over potentially saving a bit

@ws82 The thing is that is what you are doing by fixing. You think you know more than the market. The strategy that isn't looking to 'beat the market' is sitting in on a variable rate mortgage.

@ws82 And why are you fixing it for a period? Because you think the fix will be less than the variable rate in the future. Hence my comment, people think they are some genius and beat the market, no you were just lucky. You gambled and you won.

Not always the primary reason to fix of course, you might not be able to afford an increase which is why you are fixing. But that's not normally the main reason in my experience. It's certainly not the reason ever given on here.

@gdoll18 The BoE couldn't even predict the Ukraine war? What a bunch of idiots. My 5 year old could tell from the crystal ball that interest rates would rise above 5%.