How does income tax work for self-employed consultant under G.K

twhi

I've been trying to learn about income tax if setup a G.K. to work as a self-employed consultant. I could use some help me understand the following.
  1. I believe the income will fall under corporate income tax as described on this JETRO webpage.
  2. I assume that I can receive the income from my G.K. without also owing personal income tax in Japan.
  3. As a US citizen, would I owe income tax to the US on the earnings? If so, how will it taxed in the US and will I be able to claim FTC? (I am concerned that if Japan applies corporate income tax on the G.K. and the US taxes personal income, FTC won't apply and I will be double taxed.)
  4. Would accepting payment in a US bank account from US clients complicate the taxation considerations? And would the answer change depending on whether I remit the money to Japan or not.

@twhi I’ll just tackle questions 1 and 2. The word “income tax” implies personal income. A GK is a corporation, a separate entity from yourself as an individual, and therefore is subject to “corporate tax”. However, it’s normal to “employ” yourself at the GK (just like you’d be employed at any other company), and pay yourself a salary. Of course, this salary would be subject to income tax, as well as social insurance and so on.

Of course, you don’t have to employ yourself at the GK. It’s possible to not employ yourself (also known as zero salary), and then you’d just pay a lot more in corporate taxes, but no income tax. However, it would be more difficult to use the company’s money freely.

Paying yourself a salary is the cheapest and easiest way to get money out of the company. You can’t use the company’s money freely for your personal expenses, of course. You could only use it for business expenses. Therefore, if you want to be able to use the money freely for yourself, you’ll have to pay yourself a salary (which has to be the same amount every month for the fiscal year and you’re only able to change it at the start of each fiscal year, so you need to think carefully about how much to pay yourself). Usually, a corporation’s biggest expenses are, you guessed it, salaries.

@phillev Just to expand on this, you can’t use money freely for personal expenses but some expenses can be shifted from personal to business (of course within reason and depends on the business.
That includes
  • everything around your home office
  • laptop, hardware, software
  • mobile phone
  • internet and mobile phones expenses
  • utilities to a degree
  • if you’re renting, then part of your rent

@cavitill You can count a lease as regular expenses.

If you buy a car, you have to depreciate it over 6 years for a regular new car or 4 years for a new Kei car. You can depreciate it all in one year if it’s more than 4 years old. You can also expense insurance, gasoline etc as regular expenses.

@cavitill I am not familiar very familiar with that.

If you buy/lease the car through the company, it's a company expense but I am sure you'd have to somehow proof that you use it for business and not primarily for personal use.

If you use your current car for business purposes, you could expense gasoline, parking, ETC. but again that would have to be within reason and you might have to document when you used it for what purpose. Not an expert on this though.

@phillev Thanks for the explanation, it's really helpful for my understanding. It sounds like I will have the flexibility to either (1) take all income as salary and pay only personal income tax, (2) take no salary and pay only corporate tax, or (3) take partial salary and pay personal income tax on the salary and corporate tax on the remainder. Did I get it right?

Regarding the term "corporate income tax", I think corporate tax is technically considered income tax. NTA, JETRO, PWC, Deloitte, and others refer to "corporate income tax" and "tax on corporate income". This certainly doesn't take anything away from your reply, but I want to clarify why I referred to it as "corporate income tax".