How do I claim b and c shares?

kaithar

I have b and c shares in a company I previously worked for. Tonight I remembered about them and found out they are a substantial amount. Currently my husband and I are struggling very badly financially so if we could get the money for them, it would clear all of our debt plus make a rainy day fund.

Can anyone please advise on how I go about claiming the money?

@kaithar Something tells me these could be restricted stock. You need to contact the company, probably HR would be my 1st stop. I suspect there are no physical shares so info should be on any paperwork you have. Like a Bank Trustee.

@kaithar If you own shares in a company, you get the money by selling the shares.

What sort of company is this? A publicly traded company? And how do you hold the shares? Stock certificates? brokerage?

@optimisticbeliever I'm sorry I don't really understand what you are asking, I am extremely uneducated in financial affairs. The company is private. I got the stocks as an incentive for joining, basically they sold them to us super cheap

@kaithar I bought stock in 3M. It's a publicly traded company, so its very easy for me to tell a brokerage to sell the stock. In fact, my 3M is held through a particular brokerage....so I'd have to tell THAT brokerage to sell my shares.

I do not know how to sell the stock you have in this company. You'll need to contact somebody who can help, I think.

a google search found me the following article: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/06/privatecompanystock.asp