How do I calculate how much money I need for a certain amount

deepblackblue

I want my three kids to have (more or less) the same amount of savings when they reach 18. Interest rates will change and they'll receive gifts in the coming years, which means I'll have to accept some differences in the outcome. For the sake of calculation, I will pretend the interest rate is fixed for the next 18 years. I will make an initial deposit and will not be making any monthly deposits after that.

How do I calculate the amount I need to deposit now in order to have the same amount in x, y, and z years? Maybe even include a fixed inflation rate.

@deepblackblue Since you do not have monthly contributions the formula is:

FV = PV(1+r)[sup]n[/sup]

where FV is the future value, PV is the present value, r is the annual return, and n is the number of years.

[h4]If you put 1000 euros today in 18 years assuming fixed inflation of 2% and 0% interest rate, you will have: 1000(1+(-2/100))[sup]18[/sup] = 695 euros, inflation-adjusted.[/h4]

You can solve the equation also for PV given the desired FV amount.

Suggestion: Instead of putting the money in a savings account, invest it into VWCE and sell the shares in 18 years.

@kaytiedid Thank you.

I'm already buying index funds for my kids but I want them to have some disposable cash for when they want to get driving lessons, buy some furniture when they go to university, etc. This cash would approximately be 20% of their total savings when they reach adulthood, aside from what they earn themselves.

@deepblackblue If it's more than 4 years out you're better off putting it into an index than having it in a savings account.

Savings accounts now days how interest rates at less than 1%. Inflation is between 3% and 4% yearly. You'd be losing 2% to 3% in value every year.

@deepblackblue Given interest rates are almost 0 and have been for almost 15 years, any money you put into these accounts will likely be eaten by inflation by the time they're adults, if the trend continues.

@deepblackblue The simplest solution is to just have 1 bank account and then give each of them 1/3 of the bank account on their respective 18th birthday. That is likely to be far more accurate than guessing inflation and interest rate over an 18 year period. I would also recommend that you invest the money instead of keeping it as cash. If you were to invest €10 000 for 18 years at 8% return you would have €40 000 instead of just the €10 000. Investing is really good, and if you want them to have some cash when they are 18 you can simply sell of some of the investments (1/3 on each 18th birthday).

@deepblackblue If you want the same then just start saving for the oldest kid now then start paying for the others when they reach the same age as the oldest. Make sure you give an appropriate amount that you can afford all 3 at some point. Up to you if you want to increase 2% or so each year to account for inflation. Also up to you if you want to add on some lump sum at 18 too