How can I as a 15 year old save the most money by 18?

cytkeenan

Tbh I can’t stand living with my mom anymore and I want to move out when I’m 18. I have a job that pays $13.20/h and I work 1 hour a day after school ( I get out of school pretty late). Plus, I work 4 hours a day on non school days (excluding weekends). Can y’all help me start the process now?

@cytkeenan The easiest way will be to work very hard in school and get a scholarship for college that pays room and board. Then work very hard in college. Do as many internships as you can. Get an offer before you graduate. Live your life.

@thelearner92 To add onto this, if you’re an RA in the dorms, most schools provide free room and discounted meal plans. Instead of the meal plans though, learn how to cook. Budget Bytes is a good website for recipes at lower costs. Cooking at home, and taking it a step further and meal prepping, will save you money once you’re out.

Look for a high yield savings account, you want a high APY. Ally is a good one. Some banks do require minimums, but there’s ones out there for you.

Keep your grades up, be an A+ employee at work and build that relationship. Don’t leave anywhere on bad terms, avoid work drama.

@thelearner92 I wish I knew the importance of scholarships and working towards applying for every single one I could while still in high school and into college.

But answering OPs question, save the money you have and keep saving. For anything regarding investing, I would be cautious of Reddit advice.

@cytkeenan To be able to support yourself you'll need to be in full time employment. You're years away from that, unfortunately. Putting yourself in a position to get a well paying job will be your best bet. Make sure you focus on your education and get the best grades possible. Be the employee that your current boss wants to keep. Qualifications, work experience and a good work ethic will put you in the best place to get a decent job, and that's what will enable you to leave home.

@cytkeenan good advice was to start learning to cook NOW.

this will aid you for the rest of your life (and personally I find it very enjoyable).

with YouTube, etc you can learn to cook ANYTHING that you want.

pasta dishes, ground beef dishes, slow cooker/stew dishes are very easy and very tasty.

Learn how to cook 1 cup of rice which can then go with any protein (1 cup of rice to ~1.5 cups of water). Learn how to easily cook a steak or chicken in a pan.

Gordon Ramsey has many very short videos on how to easily do all of these things listed above (or find the chef you like to watch best)

@sozo1517 At 15 you can't open a bank account without a parent or guardian to co-own the account. It sucks in situations like this, but unless Dad is better they might have to keep money somewhere safe or run the risk with Mom.

@bsniloy I spent some time looking but only found vague references that there were banks that are fine with minor-only accounts. Don't out yourself, but is there somewhere OP should look to go?

@cytkeenan Take advantage of living at home. Don’t buy anything and save every penny. Work more. I was in a similar situation and graduated with 15k in the bank. Moved out went to a good but cheaper school. Picked up a full time job and paying my own way for everything. Do everything you can to get a scholarship and if you want to get emancipated that’s an option if she’s really that horrible. This also will provide you with Pell grants and more opportunities for scholarships.