How are worst case auto accidents covered? e.g. If a drunk driver knocks a packed school bus off a cliff

@lene22 So dumb that you were downvoted for asking an honest question that you didn’t know the answer to. I work in insurance and I seriously don’t know what crawled up the ass of the people in this sub. Maybe they are mad because you asked how it was covered instead of if it was covered? Either way a bunch of fragile egos on display here.

@avi90able For real. If you aren't in the industry and are trying to understand, let them ask. If an insurance professional was asking in r/insurancepros, I'd understand the vitriol

@resjudicata That is not necessarily true. Take the guy driving the semi that killed what, 4 people on the interstate in CO.

They did not have nearly enough to make right what happened to those people

@lene22 They don’t cover it - it can be covered by the, say the bus company, if they have underinsured motorist coverage or possibly an umbrella policy. Also if the children - again school bus incident - if the parents have PIP or med pay on their own policy it may cover the children. But in terms of large settlements or lots of damages, one policy limits are hit, then that’s it - which is why you often see these cases land up in court with families suing the driver that caused the accident.

@lene22 On top of what everyone else has said, the Plaintiff’s attorney will also likely sue any org/company that could have anything remotely to do with it. Even if say the drunk driver appears to be 100% at fault, they’ll sue the district, the bus company, etc. just to get as much insurance available as possible because a claim like that isn’t one that any company would want to try because if hit for even a small % it would be incredibly costly.

Edit: changed “clearly 100% at fault” to “appears to be…”

Back