How am I supposed to keep up with inflation? (school teacher)

rosea

I've worked at my school district since 2014. I thought I was making good money back then at $67k/ year. I just compared my salary history to inflation and it's not looking great. It says I've lost $22,528 to inflation. I've been getting raises and been doing a great job. I guess this is why we are falling further and further behind.

@rosea My husband left teaching this year for a better paying job because we couldn't keep up with bills. It was a very sad and very difficult decision.

@kr1983 For many teachers, this is the reality. I think the days of raising a family on a teachers salary is no more. Very sad because we lose great teachers!

@grandpa4 Exactly. I am a social worker and we have three kids, so the last several years have been tough. My husband was a wonderful elementary school teacher. But $43,000 after 10 years of working is a joke. And he worked in a "good" district!

@rosea It’s incredibly sad to see my sister who is a teacher try and celebrate a $2000 raise. It’s just not fair and is incredibly wrong.

I hate that it’s come to this but I hope the teacher shortage gets so bad that we will be forced to increase wages dramatically.

@rosea I taught for 15 years, and in districts with strong unions, tough negotiating team, and the willingness to strike. Even then, we NEVER got a raise that even matched inflation.

Despite the fact that government budgets are often tied to inflation, the growth of expenses has outpaced any budget, and the difference is paid from teacher wages. For example, health insurance costs go up by 10% a year while inflation is 3%, the total property taxes go up as well. My district used to pay $400 for health inaurance to cover a family. Now it pays $1100. That’s $700 a month that should have gone to me, but is instead lining the pockets of health insurance.

@rosea The private sector also doesn't keep up with inflation if you stay put.

The only way to significantly increase your pay is to change jobs/roles/titles/employers.

I actually took a 30% pay cut to go into a public sector job. Less work, more time home, affordable healthcare and a pension.

@rosea I did eduction for 34 years….my suggestion is get out now, before it’s too late. But once you decide, be happy. Can’t get rich being a teacher.

@rosea Those figures are highly skewed. $67k is VERY good. Besides school teachers are government employees and hence get great benefits and a pension along with an annual COL adjustment.

@mskbean ...great benefits lmao I've been in education for 8 years now (the last two years as a school librarian), and those benefits must vary by state. They are not so great in Texas. 🥲

@rosea
I've worked at my school district since 2014. I thought I was making good money back then at $67k/ year. I just compared my salary history to inflation and it's not looking great.

So you felt completely fine until you decided to compare yourself. What good does that do you? Focus on what you can control.

If you really want to compare things, keep in mind the median single income in the US is just $40,480/yr

Across all ages of workers, you're in the top 34% of earners.

Teachers are super important and deserve high pay, but some of the perks of your job include fall break, winter break, spring break, summer break. You don't have as many working hours as a traditional 9-5, but still have a salary higher than most people.

It says I've lost $22,528 to inflation.

Well, yes and no. Inflation doesn't apply across all things equally. There are likely goods and services you never use which are experiencing higher inflation than the goods and services you do use. If you own your home, or car, or eventually will -- those are 2 things where the impact of inflation can really be felt, but once you're done paying for them you won't have to worry about that.

Also, ideally your school gives you a pension. And ideally you're contributing to a retirement plan like a 403(b) and/or Roth IRA that you should be able to put money into each paycheck in investments that will beat inflation over the long run.

I guess this is why we are falling further and further behind.

Are you speaking about society as a whole or your personal financial situation? Can't you just look back through your spending and see why directly why you'd be behind?

@rosea You are not supposed to do that, that's how the system was designed.
You can't climb out of your economic class, there are many traps in place to assure that doesn't happens.
I know that because I have experienced it, the 1% doesn't want the rest to have a better life.