High Risk Insurance - concerns about application

markp5

Hi everyone

I have a careless driving conviction on my record. Other than that no accidents, claims or other tickets. I do have a 3 day warn range license suspension as well. I was charged with dui but it was dropped before trial.

I have approached a high risk insurance provider for a quotation. They are providing a relatively fair quote but there are two concerns

1 - in remarks section of the application submitted to jevco - mention of the original dui charge is there. Explanation is being given that careless has no accidents attached to it.

2 - non-renewal of policy is being flagged as cancellation in the application.

I am sort of being forced to sign on this to get the coverage. Do you think this admission would affect any future insurance applications to other normal companies?

I know I have to pay higher insurance premium for 3 years, but I do not want this to go on forever.

@markp5
1 - in remarks section of the application submitted to jevco - mention of the original dui charge is there. Explanation is being given that careless has no accidents attached to it.

I'm not familiar with high-risk practices, maybe they differ from standard insurers, and maybe there's a bit more manual rate-making, but if you weren't actually convicted of the DUI it shouldn't matter. Conversely though, maybe the fact that the careless charge had no claim attached to it bodes better for you than if there was, assuming they're manually calculating rates for you.

Either way, what I said about not being convicted would hold true when you're eligible to be insured by a standard insurer - nothing you sign on this document is going to somehow make that DUI appear on your record. Insurers will normally pull your MVR - only convictions will show on there, not charges.

2 - non-renewal of policy is being flagged as cancellation in the application.

I think this would come down to the individual insurer and how to they rate these things. So, again, just because Jevco counts it as a cancellation is not going to cement it as a cancellation for all insurers. Some would see it differently.