Hey r/AusFinance, what are your thoughts of the government extending road tolls to all highways in Australia? E.g. Parramatta Rd, Hume Highway etc

@oliviagold I feel like tolls aren't the best way to raise overall revenue, just because there is no way to get around them if you need to drive to work so not very progressive for people barley getting by. A much "better" option could be raising GST to something like 15% (NZ) however apparently there would be a lot of back end changes required to do that from a IT point of view. Its tough I have lived in other countries that have no tolls in the whole country so when you compare to Sydney its a hard pill to swallow. On the other hand I love cycling and wish there where less cars and more bike paths.

@oliviagold I feel like the government has a fairly stable income through:
- PAYG
- BAS
- Company Tax
- CGT
And a pleateher of other taxes, fees and charges that they charge the people.

Why would we want to willing give the government anymore money at all?

@oliviagold Fuel excise and vehicle registration are designed to pay for this, not to mention the government collect gst and stamp duty on the motor insurance you pay. If this isn’t enough to fund the road network they designed, then they need to budget accordingly rather than expecting taxpayers to foot the bill all the damn time.