help needed: Michigan home insurance comparison

gary2

I got two quote. state farm is 40% cheap. but I have some thing need to clarify

1. State farm list deductible as 1% of coverage A.

all state list deductible as 1k windstorm/hails; 1k all other perils
is Allstate's version more practical? I may need to ask state farm to use that to re-calculate. In my area, the weather pattern is stable in the last 15 years, no extreme weather, flood..
  1. Allstate Endorsements: Roof surface extended coverage
I didn't see State farm mention roof anywhere in document. do I need to ask State farm to list roof exclusively in the policy?
  1. both quote me Personal property of 75%
I live a humble life, and no expensive item, and 75% is way over kill. Is it common to lower to 25% or even 60% if system allow me?
  1. State Farm say they bump up the dwelling coverage 20% (called increased dwelling - option ID) without increase premium.
However that doesn't increase coverage A. is it too good to be true?
  1. personal liability 100k v.s. 300k, is it more common to choose one over the other?
  2. all state document has house detail (# of bathroom, AC, Roof age etc.), State farm doesn't mention these detail (except year, footage, zone, sub zone). is that typical ?
Thank you very much!

@gary2
  1. Only you can decide what you can afford to oay in the event of a covered claim. State Farm may not offer $1k.
  2. Ask State Farm. That may be already included, an extra endorsement or or something they don't offer.
  3. Usually personal property coverage is automatically a specific % of coverage A and you may not be able to change it.
  4. No, it's not too good to be true. Insurance is a contract. Ask them to explain it.
  5. If you were to be sued, how much coverage would you like on your policy? It doesn't matter what other people have when you get sued. It only ammtwrs what you have.
  6. Each carrier does things differently. Just because they didn't peint that information in the quote doesn’t mean they don't have that information. If you're concerned, ask them.
Do you see the patten here in my responses?

@thewordiswisdom Yes. Thank you :)

my agent is busy for some reason. when I get hold of him, I wish I am prepared. Thank you.

On different topic. If I have personal liability, let's say 300k. what's the reason I also need to purchase umbrella insurance? agent explained to me that umbrella insurance is to cover if mailman walk on my driveway and fall. is that not the personal liability supposed to cover? or is it because personal liability cover up to 300k, then anything beyond that will be covered in umbrella? if that's the case, should I just bump up the personal liability coverage?

@gary2 What if you get into a really bad accident and the other driver is severely injured? Your auto policy will only pay to your policy limits. An umbrella policy kicks in up to $1M.

You don't have to speak to your agent. You called a different company and got quotes. Call them back and ask questions. If your agent is always unavailable, you need a different agent if no one else is available to speak to, including their customer service people.

@gary2 Roof surfaces extended coverage pays replacement value for your roof, instead of actual cash value, which factors in depreciation based off the type of roof and the age of the roof. You can ask them to change the deductible from 1k to 1%