Help me figure out if I should keep VA Disability Pay or Drill pay while on reserves

ljubomir38

I'm 100% P&T that's $3621 a month. I am considering rejoining the Air Force Reserves as an E5 w/ 7 years time in service.

That's is $456 per drill weekend(4 days of active pay) vs $482 ( 4 days of VA disability pay).

Am I better off "Keeping" the VA Disability or Military Pay for those 4 days?

Also if I keep either or am I being charged the difference owed all at once or as a monthly prorated deduction?

@ljubomir38 At your pay grade I don’t think it’s financially a good move to join. I’m a 100% PT officer in the reserves and I do not make out well financially after accounting for taxes and the other costs of serving (non-reimbursed travel, uniform items, gear).

Now if you want to serve out of pure desire don’t “drill for points”. You’ll get the points anyway. Take the VA money and Reserve money and at the end of the year the VA will put you on a payment plan to pay back X number of days.

@abbalovesyou Yeah how the fuck is this guy joining the Reserves after getting 100% P&T? Fucking scammers man. Meaning while I have major back pain due to degenerative disk disease and all I can get it 20 and I cant pick up shit anymore.

@abbalovesyou there is plenty of both reserve and AD with disability. I know many with 100% P&T serving in both components in Army and AF. It depends on a lot of factors( are you deployable being damn near #1) as well as what your mos is. this is both allowable and legal.