HELP! I haven't had Car Insurance for over 3 years. Can I get my no-claims bonus back?

shane2008

As the title says, is there any ways or loopholes or possible avenues for me to try that would allow me reclaim my no claims bonus from back in the day?

My last car insurance policy ended in 2020 when I lived in the UK. At the time, my renewal document for that policy showed 11 years of protected no claims bonus, and my renewal cost was going to be £385/y. Since then, I've had to move around a good bit between Ireland and Canada, and now back to Ireland. Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to hold a private car insurance policy in that time frame.

At the tail end of last year, I took out a car insurance policy in Ireland that cost me over €2,000 for the year! Part of the reason was due to the age of the vehicle, but it still stung that it cost so much to insure a car at the age of 33!

Yesterday, for the sake of chancing my arm, I contacted my old insurance provider in England to see if I could renew my policy from 2020 and save my no-claims from that old policy. Unfortunately not, and I was given a quote of £3,250/y. Nice 8.5x what I used to pay

I've a full Irish license and a UK license (long story), no penalty points, no convictions, no accidents etc.

@shane2008 Nope. You let your insurance lapse. That in and of itself will make your rates sky rocket. That’s why policies exist for people who don’t even own a car, so you can keep continual coverage.