Health Insurance after moving from Canada

myhopeisinhim

We are a small family of four (40M, 32F, 10 and 6 year old kids).

I plan to move to the US through a L-1 visa with my Canadian corporation (sole owner) opening a branch in the US. I am looking for the best way to get health insurance for my family. We are thankfully all without any preexisting conditions and healthy.

I do plan to have my 80 year old father to come and live with us as a visitor for 180 days every year. What options will I have for him? Can I also add him to my family policy?

@myhopeisinhim the typical health insurance in the US is through your employer, if that is not an option then you can purchase insurance through your state of residence's Healthcare marketplace

go to healthcare.gov

as for your father, there is likely Canadian based travel health insurance, there is no option in the US for a 'tourist' which often means foreigners leave the country with massive bills unpaid if there is serious medical care required

the other issue is that repeated stays of 180 days can trigger CBP to deny entry to your father, some folks never have a problem even with walking or driving back and forth to reset the clock and other people get barred after just 1 or 2 reentries

he can be asked why he doesn't have a return ticket or where he lives or who is maintaining his primary residence etc etc all meant to catch people using a tourist visa to essentially live in the US which is not legal