Had accident in new car before adding to insurance policy in TN

damion060

Hi I’m looking for some advice, on Saturday I purchased a 2020 car with financing for my soon to be 16 year old daughter. I was going to add it to my insurance right away but time slipped away from me. 4 days after purchasing the vehicle my daughter and I, her driving still via a permit got into a accident. The car was completely totaled and it was her fault. Now I’m worried the insurance will not pay since I hadn’t added the car before the accident. Is there a grace period in TN? We use Geico and have full coverage on 2 other vehicles I’m just concerned this is going to turn out really bad!! I had every intention to insure the vehicle as I had even called and got a quote right before my purchase. I also purchased gap insurance from the dealership as well. Any advice would be great as I’m at a lost, but lesson learned don’t ever procrastinate about insurance.

@damion060 Excellent. Don't worry, chances are pretty good you're going to be ok. Make sure you have the purchase paperwork w/ dates ready to send to your adjuster, and the advertisement of photos of the car on the lot won't hurt either, just to prove it was in good condition when you bought it.

@damion060 Read your policy. Look at the definitions and see if this vehicle is considered "an insured car/vehicle." As stated, it's usually 30 days to add a vehicle from the purchase date. Sometimes it's only 14. Every insurance policy is different.

As long as your daughter lives in your household and had permission, whether she is on the policy or not shouldn't matter...usually.

Best thing to do is file a claim, let your insurance company investigate, and have a bill of sale ready to submit so the underwriting dept can review.