Great Americans, Where should I retire?

@maggie321 I hope you find what you want.
I consider the weather very mild too. hot humid summers but nothing unbearable. Winters are nice and cold but not icy (normally). Hurricanes come through but generally don't do much damage.

And in the summer it seemed like it only rained at night, so you got fantastic thunderstorms and beautiful sunsets.

@maggie321 I would go to Jacksonville, FL. Owned a home for 15 years and the only property damage I’ve had during the last storm was a part of a fence fell over and needed to be replaced. There’s Amelia Island for the beach, they have an airport, schools, and lots to do within an hour of so drive. If you get solar panels, you’ll have a $30 electric bill. Access to great healthcare and there’s also Kings Bay for a commissary.

@maggie321 You’re welcome. We’ve never had to use our hurricane shutters. Of course we can’t predict the future but I’d say it’s been good to us so far. The commissary at NAS Jax is much better and larger. I live in between both. Depending on where you buy a home, it’ll be a good investment as there’s growing new construction in areas outside Jacksonville to the north that used to be nothing but trees and rural areas. When we moved in 15 years ago it was a new housing development and the only one around. Now there’s a movie theatre, shopping malls, etc…within a 7 minute drive. Our house value went up and now it’s worth 60% more than what we paid for.

@jkitten I am considering Jacksonville as well. I enjoyed the area when I was stationed at NAS. My issues with the area are 1. Everything is 45 minutes away. If you live at the beach and want to do anything not beach related… 45 minute drive. If you don’t live at the beach but want to do a beach day… 45 minutes. You want to go to ardwolf or grape and grain or the volstead… all 45 minutes away…. My other issue is the schools there are not the best. I wasn’t a parent when I lived there so that is all secondhand information and could be incorrect but it is a factor for me now.

@felixandseth If you are leaning towards Florida, a program I found if you qualify: Hometown Heroes https://www.floridahousing.org/live-local-act/hometown-heroes-program It is up to $35,000 in down payment and closing cost assistance. Interest rates for the rest of the loan range between 6.875%-7.125% depending on your Area and median income. Ask your broker for a loan estimate for a regular conventional loan and one for hometown heroes and compare what is the best option for you. Below is the official link to check hometown heroes rates:https://www.ehousingplus.com/homeownership/florida-housing-finance-corporation/program-highlights/