Good Health and Dental Insurance for a Young Adult.

mikek401

I just finished college and now have a job in my field of study. I was recently made aware I was unable to receive any more insurance under my parents plan, and my new employer doesn't provide any insurance at all.

My question is any advice and/or recommendations for Health and Dental Insurance plans. I was looking at blue cross and CAA but I am completely new to this and don't really understand what a good or bad plan is. Also I am from MB if that makes a difference.

@mikek401 Your Health insurance is covered by the Province. Dental insurance is mostly just dollar trading with an insurer (e.g. everyone has teeth. Everyone needs their teeth cleaned. Paying for that is NOT insurance). If you are young and healthy you can probably coast without any private insurance. Sooner or later you will land a job that comes with a benefit package which will also provide Long Term Disability (which is the real kicker). If you have to travel outside of MB then buy travel medical insurance for those occasions. You can also buy it on an annual policy if you travel a lot. Otherwise, just pay out of pocket for prescriptions and dental until you find a job that includes these coverages. Even then, you'll likely be paying a significant portion of the cost which as a young person can feel exorbitant.