bear238

A "bpi agent" called me and it was so believable wtf

I'm in the tech field and super duper vigilant ako with my security pero this "bpi agent" called me which woke me up from my sleep.

They started asking me questions and wow I was surprised how me in my still morning sleepy state would throw all of my inhibition go and share information about my bpi account that would allow him to reset my password LOL

Thankfully before he could reset my email, I was finally out of my sleepy state that I realized what was going on so I immediately blocked the phone number and reset my password back.

My funds are still safe thankfully pero putangina kayo :))

Stay vigilant everyone!

The number that called me: 09482509317 (I reported u na to the authorities)

edit #1: this is how you report it
  1. Call your respective bank customer service
    • If your username or other details were compromised, request to close ur online banking account and u will re-enroll again
  2. Contact National Telecommunications Commission (NTC)
  3. Contact Cyber Crime Division
  4. Email Anti-Fraud and Action Division
    • Email: afad@nbi.gov.ph
    • Telephone: (02) 8523 8231 to 38 local 3529 or 3456
  5. Contact your telcom company
  6. Details to include in your report
    • Incident Details (date and time of contact, mode of contact like call or text, scammer's claim)
    • You can also include scam tactics like them asking for personal information, resetting password, etc
edit #2: these are the scam tactics they did to me personally but may change
  1. They will assure you that u don't have to share your password and you are going to receive a new improved debit card
    • this gives false sense of security
  2. They know your full name and they will ask for your account number and birthday for verification
    • I got fooled this part since I know for a fact that it is a general practice talaga for verification purpose
  3. They will mention that u will be receiving a paymaya gift card for unclaimed rewards

@bear238 Received the similar call last month, they’re kinda good and they’re fucking lucky I was a bit sleepy and half my brain was working. I immediately realized it was a scam after saying that I’m going ti receive a Maya reward. I hangup the call and reported it to BPI so they can investigate.

@jhoney Right? They were def lucky na my brain was literally half asleep din.

I realized it was a scam when I received the password reset confirmation and I was like df that's not right (apparently u only need to give ur username, acc number and birthday) then I double checked the number calling me and it's not an official bpi CS number.

I felt so bobo na I fell for it and I'm tbh worried to the other Filipinos na actually got scammed 😭

@bear238 Ung sakin naman about expiring vyte reward daw, na auto answer yung call kasi naka bt headset ako, so nag probe ako maeexpire daw ung vyte points for my debit account and i coconvert daw nila sa voucher, so sabi ko ako nang bahala, sabi ba naman saakin "pano po kayong bahala eh ako ung nag tratrabaho sa banko." Lololol. Binaba ko agad hahaha.

@rygaku Encountered something similar. Mageexpire na daw points ko. Sabi ko di ko kasi naaasikaso.

Sinabihan ako na baket di ko naasikaso na parang pinapagalitan pa ako lol. Dapat daw alam ko yun. Nasigawan ko tuloy na kagagaling ko lang sa sakit. Panay sorry siya after at binaba na.

Pagcheck ko hindi pala nageexpire points ng credit card.

@ohara Yeah, kaya debit or savings sinabi nila sakin, buti nalang meron akong contact sa bpi so tinanung ko after nung call and sabi nila wala naman ganun.

@bear238 Received a scam call, it was an elaborate scam involving philpost and pnp kuno, saved the number, a month after, same number calls. Caller knows my exact cc balance, etc., so after further prying, found out they were a 3rd party company authorized by BPI to offer cc balance loans. My takeaway-- BPI allowed 3rd party access to our cc info. They opened the gates for us to be scammed.

@antoniassi Unfortunately nascam nila ko using this tactic. I was stupid enough to send money. I reported then to cybercrime pero walsng nangyari. Aware na mga pulis sa modus nila and wala daw sila magagawa. What a joke 🤣

@ndemo What!!!? Sobrang lala, dito lang talaga sa pinas justified ang theft eh no? Yung leader kasi magnanakaw kaya pati yung mga alipores walang pake kung may mga magnanakaw eh.

@ndemo
cybercrime

cybercrime is a joke, they aren't able to do anything but collect victim stories, and a 0.001% chance that it's something worthwhile to report to someone higher up in PNP if the money involved is big enough or if it's tied to something more widespread

EDIT: civic responsibility shit requires that we report it anyway

@antoniassi Kaya pala. Nagtataka ako pano nalaman ng scammer na may BPI CC ako? E nung time na may tumawag na scammer sa Nike at Google ko palang ginagamit yung credit card ko. 🤔 di ko ginagamit sa Lazada, shopee, kahit sa supe rmarket/department store at that time.