Getting car insurance as a teen

xxriah

Im seriously so confused about car insurance. Some background info abt me: i just graduated highschool (18 y/o) and got my license a few weeks ago. I got a brand new car as my grad gift. My parents have been trying to get me car insurance or like add me to theirs (they have allstate) but havent been able to because apparently theres a new rule stating that as a new teen driver i have to wait 3 whole years before getting insured??? Like is this real??? I start college in a few days and dont want to keep relying on my friends and family for rides. Please help.

@xxriah No, your parents are either very confused and misinformed, or they just don't want to add you to their policy because it's very expensive. Car insurance for young drivers is notoriously expensive because you don't have much experience and you're a high risk, so whoever pays (you or them), it's going to be very costly. Many parents try to skirt the system by not adding their teen to their policy, but if you're living with them or driving their cars they are required to do so. If you aren't added as a driver and you have an accident, insurance will refuse to cover it.

If your parents aren't going to be any help, Google "independent insurance agent near me" and call one up. If the vehicle is titled and registered in your own name you should be the one getting coverage on it. They can help you shop for quotes.

@former32%C2%B0mason I think they are being misinformed bcus they really are trying their best but idk what on earth they are doing to end up with that information. My parents are willing to pay but they just cant find anyone to help so im trying to help them find people. Thank you so much for your advice !!

@xxriah You’re not in California by chance are you? I only ask because I know the company I work for has some strict guidelines in CA right now that make it harder for inexperienced drivers to be covered. Such as having to pay the full term up front in addition to the higher increase for adding an young driver.

I’d also recommend getting quotes to see what you’re coverage would be just for you as a driver. You can go online, call around, or work with an independent agent to see if they could put the legwork in for you. Be prepared for some high prices though.

@surffisher Yes i am from California actually! Ive been wondering if its the company making things hard or like the state. Money is not a problem for my parents so im truly confused as to how they keep getting turned down. But thank you, i will def start looking on my own.