christopher11

I’m making €400 per week and taking a gap year. Will be starting college in September. The bus service in my area is beyond unreliable and the parents are sick of driving me into work each day.

The road is too dangerous to cycle on even though it’s a 50km/h , many fly down going well over 70km/h.

My question is, is buying a car worth the financial burden? I only have about €3000 to my name (luckily I don’t have any bills other than food).
Also is it recommended to take out a loan? (around 1 to 4 year). Any ideas is appreciated:)

@christopher11 The longer you can go without a car the better, once you get a car it’s very hard to go back to life without one as it allows you so much freedom.

If you do decide to get a car look for a peugeot 107, Toyota aygo or citron C1.

They are very simple, cheap to run and very reliable.

You’ve to keep in mind the cost of car servicing, repairs, nct, tax, insurance, tyres etc all adds up.

Do not get a loan if at all possible as circumstances can quickly change. If you do need a loan I’d recommend having it paid back before you start college.

If it was me, although it wouldn’t be the best financial decision I’d 100% get a car at 19.

@joey101 I think this is a bad outlook tbh. If a car is going to improve your life and you can afford it, you absolutely shouldn't wait. It's so Irish to say "stick with being miserable for as long as you can because if you improve something it's hard to go back" 😂

@rbell77 It’s not that, it’s just hard to know if OP will be able to continue to afford it given his circumstances, struggling to keep up costs on a car is a lot of extra stress onto of college. By all means go for it if confident

@joey101 It's interesting you say that, I've heard French cars described as anything but reliable due to frequent faults with electronics. Word-of-mouth being that Japanese and Korean manufacturers are the way to go for "budget get from A to B" purposes due to being both reliable and cheap to service - Toyota, Kia, Hyundai in particular.

You seem to know a good bit about cars, do you have a different view of things?

@hazeyrock I'm not the poster to whom you're replying, but while you have a point in the general sense, their suggestion is probably the exception. Specifically, the Aygo/C1/107 (and its successor 108) were a joint venture between Toyota and PSA Peugeot Citroën, to the degree that they are all basically the same car. So regardless of the badge, in buying any of them, you're essentially buying a Toyota.

@hazeyrock Every manufacturer basically has produced good and bad models, it’s important to research the car you want and not just go on the reputation of the badge. While French cars do have a bad reputation, and rightly so in many cases for electric issues the 107 and C1 share the same platform as the aygo. It’s essentially an Aygo with a different bumper, just as reliable.

@christopher11 Get the price of insurance, tax, servicing, tyres, and a reserve divide it by 12..

If you can afford that much per month, then buy the car. If not then don't.

Don't spend more than 2 to 3k on your first car..

Keep a contingency reserve of at least €500 for something or things going wrong.. (blown tire after hitting a pothole, breakdown etc)

@gwsany Scooter all the way. I bought a bogist c1 pro for €350 it goes 51km an hour and can get me atleast 20km on full speed.

If I had 3-5k to spend, I'd go for probably a dualtron. Those things are beasts or a vsett.

Highly recommend tubeless tyres if it doesn't come with it, bring them to scooter shop get them on.