German full time and American full time

jeromecoates

Okay, this is for military people. We are overseas in Germany. The job I currently have is really early morning coffee hours. Im the manager there. Enough employees, I am perfect on my ordering. I have changed that store for the better and It is no longer stressful like it was in the beginning. Long story short, I need another job. Not for forever. But for at least 6/8 months and then I can quit whatever one isn’t the best. The commissary (USA job) is hiring. They can basically get me full time at a GS5 level for double the pay im getting now.. (22,000€ takehome a year) Of which, I can take back to states with me. the hours work perfectly to when I get off at job #1. One if the gals (at commissary) says I cant do this. I have a SOFA stamp and also let my area manager (for german job #1) know I was taking another job. It’s all in the same building.

IS THIS LEGAL? To have a Full time salaried German taxed and a full time hourly USA Job? All on US ARMY post? THANK YOU.

@jeromecoates Probably language in the actual SOFA agreement. Get an up to date copy and read it. Or talk to legal on base. I'm sure they'll have the most up to date version or has issued employment guidance. They should be able to explain it to you.

@jeromecoates Definitely talk to legal. You may be ok so long as you're paying German taxes on your German income and US taxes on your GS job, but I'm not sure what happens once you have your own SOFA status.

You may lose your spousal/dependent SOFA status if you take a GS job that gives you your own SOFA status.

Your dependent SOFA status waives the need for a German work permit (which you likely already know), but I'm not sure if having your own SOFA affects that.

Start at this link and then check with legal:

https://home.army.mil/rheinland-pfa...6/9598/9138/Spousal_Employment_in_Germany.pdf