GEICO didn’t cancel my policy like they said they would and I had to pay $210 to Progressive due to the balance being outstanding.

struggles17

Title says it all. Sales rep at geico told me to sign all the documents and that they would take care of the cancellation process for me. I did that they day of and trusted them. I’ve never reached out to a company to cancel before since I’ve always had a third party do that for me. Today I get a notice that essentially says “you never cancelled and you’ve been ignoring us. Final warning, pay this fine or collections gets involved.” I’m pissed bro, what do I do now?

Edit: Thank you for all the help. I just got off the phone with both companies. Geico confirmed they sent it in. Progressive didn’t honour it. Checked my emails and never got anything from Progressive about confirming I should cancel, only that I needed to pay for that month’s, January’s, policy. Policy was cancelled for nonpayment, so I owed them that. Talked with them and they said this situation won’t affect me long term. Taking this as an L, and a lesson learned the hard way.

Edit 2: You guys corrected me, pointing out that by Progressive reaching out to pay is them reaching out about an active policy. This whole thing is on me. Damn bro

@harbor Right, and at my company, the agents don't answer those requests. They may call the customer and confirm, but they never listen to the other carrier because the contract isn't with the other carrier. I don't get why people rely on that tbh.

@rise_above It’s generally signed by the customer so ignoring such a request would be blatant negligence on the part of the insurance agent receiving it. Can’t even believe you just said “we ignore our jobs, I can’t believe people actually think we’re doing it”

@a43 I was about to say pretty sure those accord forms are pretty straight forward with whom is actually requesting the cancelation, including signature lmfao