Future of retail investing w/ETFs & Index Funds

@skitta To me, it is a sure thing to always invest in the broader market. What I count on is that people will get up, go to work, build stuff, and then do it all again tomorrow as long as the world keeps spinning. My bet with broad based ETFs relies on the fact that the world will keep on spinning. I'd like to think that's a fairly good bet.

@skitta As someone that didn't know I could invest with small amounts of money looking back at all the stocks I'm interested ins charts I think to myself damn those people that had money and knowledge back in March are making bank and I'll only make $5-$10 pre $50-$100 share a year and my buying power is almost not even worth trying. I might make an extra $1000 a year from what I can invest unless I gamble or get into a Startup or a crash happens.

@skitta If you look at the S&P 500–adjusted for inflation or not—and compare it to the rate of cumulative inflation over the last 100 years, the upturns are pretty similar. I’m far from an expert, but I wonder if the bull market we’ve seen these last two decades have actually been the market catching up to the last four to five decades of inflation. The rate of inflation for the USD made a very distinct uptrend starting around the 70s (cumulative inflation graph). I’ve seen a lot of people talking about how unusually well the market has done the last 10 years, I think it can be extended back to the mid 90s, but I have yet to see anyone talk about the rate of inflation since the 70s. People are talking about how much worse inflation is getting now, but it has been very bad for a few decades now. I dunno, maybe I just don’t understand stuff, but it does look to me like the market is actually correcting upwards towards inflation. Still, I also think that could cause instability in the near future when you factor in retail investors who can’t stomach a downturn, which will feed into a deeper dip, kinda like what happened in ‘29. Ultimately, I think it looks like we’re facing a couple issues in the year(s) to come: government driven hyperinflation and a fearful market downturn. Like Germany and Hungary before it, though, I do think we’ll recover, we are still one of the largest economies in the world, the powers that be aren’t going to allow that to change. The questions are (1) how long will it take? And (2) will the powers that be survive our current social/political instability?

@skitta The signs are quite clear across the board. Smart investors and institutions are absolutely waiting for a major correction.

Edit: major

@lilliannac37 An incredible amount of money was printed in 2020. Something near 20% plus another stimulus coming worth 1.9 trillion. Nearing 30% of all cash ever printed in the US will have been in a 12 month period.

An astronomical amount of that cash has been invested in the stock market. We are going to witness the market bubble crash alongside hyperinflation.

Get ready to invest and wait for a long market recovery.

(Probably maybe)

@mrtj Since borrowing money is so cheap right now, my guess is the next market correction will occur when interest rates start climbing again. Because of the pandemic, I believe there are a disproportionate number of zombie companies that will quickly go belly up when rates start increasing again, which will cascade into more unemployment and a downturn in the markets.

@lifehappenss Definitely not arguing anything. Just an investor who is looking to discuss my own personal thoughts and concerns for the future, that I feel many others may be thinking about as well. Appreciate your perspective

@skitta Not being critical here. Just mentioning a fact in which I truly believe will stay relevant. It is the foundation of Buffets investment strategy. Dont try to beat the market, by trying to time the market, just simply buy in and gain an average of 8% a year. The compounding interest will make you a rich man.

This idea does mean you have to go long for a long time