Frugal tips to save money

hupto

With the price of petrol topping 3 per L and the rising costs of everything, I wanted to start a thread on saving money.

My tip is buying bulk lentils, beans and nuts from indian/asian stores.

Per dollar per gram of protein/carb nothing beats it. Also it's healthy.

@hupto I mean there’s dozens of beans rice and lentils threads. It’s almost like a revelation that for the last few decades students haven’t eaten rice with beans and spices for most meals

Edit

Shit sorry I didn’t mean to be so judgemental. Maybe try posting some recipes that are less than $3 per serve that sits outside the remit of beans, rice and lentils.

I can start.

500g mince - $5

Honey soy sauce - $3 (use 10% per meal so 30c)

Bag of coleslaw - $3

Jar of kimchi - $12 (use 1/5th per meal so $2.40)

Spring onions - $3

Mayo- $3 use 10% (30c) (or if you can splash our sesame dressing closer to $8 and use 20% 80c)

Rice - $2 (use 1/5th per meal so 40c)

*Total 14.40 for 4 meals - $3.60 per serve *

Better than just rice and beans

I can provide the method if you want l, but this is literally what we had for dinner tonight, and we aren’t even TRYING to save. It’s just a delicious meal

@chrishiee Hey all, just hear me out ....I might be digging ny own grave here if meats starting tonget sold out at these shops after i tell you all this ....but damn have ya'll been to halal butchers? My mate told me about a few and I seriously dont go anywhere but then to buy my meats.

Can get Premium Beef mince for $15 per kg
Chicken breast around $13-14 per kg (depends who you go to)

Best part about them all they will cut the meat to your likong fornnot extra cost

Some even have whole chicken ...i bought size 22 chicken iirc for like $15 with no skin and chopped into smaller pieces

And some halal butchers sausages are top notch

No this aint a ad ...just getting cheap meat ....oh and did i tell you that during lockdowns they never ran out of meat and are open as they are essential to Muslim community