Freelancing for a US 1-person company while in the U.K

snaptikappmefr

I’ve been working remotely for a client in the US. The funds are sent via PayPal from the US in pounds. I have only transferred £2K in my U.K. bank account. The rest is sitting in PayPal.

Are there any tax implications in the U.K.? I’m a U.K. citizen (been to the US for work before and have a social security number there, but no US bank account)

I’m about to file for taxes for the first time and I’m not sure what to do about the income.

My job is above the tax free bracket.

Edit: I haven’t touched the money yet since I’ve been living off my wages. The £2k are separated in a savings account, the rest is sitting in PayPal.

Recently, my new employer did a background verification check (the employer is a multinational financial company) and everything went smoothly, so not sure if it’s all ok.

@snaptikappmefr In a nutshell, yes you have to declare any income you get from working. HMRC will then decide if you owe tax or not.

It’s best to think of if that way to avoid any confusion of “should I?” Just declare it no matter what and let HMRC decide.