Form 26AS updated and will include certain high value transactions including mutual funds, stocks, FD, real estate etc

First let's start with basics

Q: What is Form 26AS Form?
Ans: Till now Form 26AS, was a statement that IT dept used to provide u to capture

(a) TDS deducted from u (For eg: Ur company deducting TDS on ur salary)
(b) TCS: Tax collected at source (house property etc)

Now Form 26AS, will have a new section known as Section E

Section E will also capture certain high value transactions that you do in a financial year

So at a glance it will help u see you large txns in a year. And we explain below which txns

Q: Tell me which txns & what do u mean by large txns (how large?)
Ans: For eg: if u invest in a mutual fund > 10 lacs in a year. That is a large txn and it will be captured in this statement

Not a single txn, but cumulative in a year if in a single MF u invest > 10 lacs

Q: Ok I get it, tell me more which all txns will be included?
Ans: 14 types of txns are included and here is the full list
1) Fixed Deposits together in Bank > 10 lacs in a year
2) Credit Card Bills > 10 lacs (in a year) if paid by cheque
and > 1 lacs if paid by cash

3) If u buy bonds > 10 lacs in a year
4) If u buy shares > 10 lacs in a year
5) If u tender shares for buyback > 10 lacs in a year
6) If u buy Fx > 10 lacs in a year
7) If u buy MFs > 10 lacs in a year
8) Real Estate > 30 lacs
9) Purchase of Bank drafts > 10 lacs with cash

10) If u deposit cash in savings bank account > 10 lacs
11) Cash deposts or withdrawals from current account > 10 lacs

And some other routine ones (related to demonetisation)

All this will be shown in Section E in your Form 26AS of your previous years also!

Q: How does all this impact us?
Ans For honest tax payers, it is actually beneficial. Now we have a single point source of all large txns which will help us
For those who evaded taxes - earlier also IT dept knew it - Now it is putting it in their face and telling IT knows

Source:

@pokerbob I believe 10L is supposed to exclude switches. Extract from Rule 114-E:

Receipt from any person of an amount aggregating to ten lakh rupees or more in a financial year for acquiring units of one or more schemes of a Mutual Fund (other than the amount received on account of transfer from one scheme to another scheme of that Mutual Fund).

@gunderson500 It's a little dicey to be honest. We've seen mutual funds report transfers also under SFT. Their thinking is they want to be safe and not be penalised for not reporting

@pokerbob Any names that you could share of AMCs who've done this in recent years? I've become very cautious about this after hearing stories of people who were harassed by ITOs for misreporting by MFs so I'll avoid such AMCs. I noticed FT and HDFC MF doing this long ago. FT for certain doesn't do it any longer- don't know about HDFC.

@gunderson500 When were these stories of ITO harassment from? For the past 2-3 years all the assessments have been online only and majority of returns are processed as they were filed. Unless someone completely didnt report any income, or under reported income or did not tally with 26AS/AIR they should not get any notices

@praisethelord123 Regardless of returns being filed and confirmed as okay, cases can be re-opened up to 7 years after the year of filing. IINM if you have foreign assets, cases can be re-opened even after that. I'm not aware if things have changed but until last year, I can vouch for the fact that local ITOs had a say in what cases were re-opened.

About a year or so ago someone had put a post on this sub of his experience of case being re-opened. IIRC the ITO has mis-interpreted information in the AIR. My CA has also confirmed that such things happen. There was also a post on the MF Critic blog on this.

@praisethelord123 I have read such stories here. Often what happens is that your return gets processed at CPC even before the AMCs file their AIR.

I have heard somewhere that there is a Nexus between CAs and ITOs regarding this, would it's better to learn and file your own return.

@praisethelord123 This time the Income Tax Department is also doing an 'e-campaign' for the next 11 days (till 31st July) .

They are promoting voluntary tax filing for FY 2018-19, under which the taxman is sending out emails and SMS (not notice) to taxpayers with high-value transactions like Share trading, sale of house property, purchase of car/jewelry, etc.

If the taxpayer does not respond to such communication, they may face notice/scrutiny from the ITD.

The intention is to increase voluntary tax compliance so taxpayers do not face scrutiny.

@gunderson500 Without being too specific, the names you said do come to mind.

We'll have to go through some of our past data to check this. Some data is inaccessible right now due to the lockdown. May take some time.

@praisethelord123 They should have included all capital gains and interest incomes irrespective of the amount. Would have helped in tax filing.

10 lakhs benchmark is too high for most people. This is useless for most people.

@kla2 We think we're a couple of years away from all capital gains data also being readily filled.

With SEBI and CBDT agreeing to exchange data, seems only a matter of time.

@praisethelord123 Uhh... any Firefox users here? Are you even able to login to view Form 26AS on the TRACES website?

There was no problem till last year but now selecting the "Taxpayer/PAO" option on the login page loads the "Deductor" section instead.

Am wondering is it just me or are other Firefox users also facing this problem?!

@realmajor101 I use to visit the traces from the SBI's netbanking interface. It somehow did not work this time like the past. It dropped me in to the income tax login. I had to login to income tax website to find out the form 26AS.