For Someone who is absolutely at level Zero in terms of Money Management [New to Investing]

sammie2019

Level zero means no idea about bank accounts, some idea about FD, something heard about SIP and that is it.

Otherwise, the person is a well-earning professional, protected by parents (who are also likely to have not so great ideas about money management, otherwise they would have educated him. The ideas of ‘buy your house first’, ‘real estate is the best investment’, ‘FDs are the best, particularly when you buy them in your parents’ name because it saves tax’, ‘gold is best’, etc.).

So, let’s start with the most basic question. Why do you earn money? Why have you studies so much (12+3+2 or 12+4+/-2, I have added MBA level to a graduate or engg graduate). In short, 17-18 years of studies. Plus add 2/3 years of working. And yet, there are not equal minutes to have real read and understand how to manage all that money that is being earned and will be earned.

We earn money as professionals, because that is what we have been trained to do by our parents, peers, society, etc. That is what has been passively shaped by everyone around us, but not really by us internally. So, they give us ideas about how to get a good earning career, how to have a good CV to get to a good company, how to shape our personality, etc. And then how to save or invest, etc. Everything passive, bombarded by messages from all around us. The result is if someone asks us anything about it, we even feel proud that we don’t know anything about money management.

Secondly, since we don’t know anything about it, and when we are starting to really dip our toes in this vast ocean of information about money management, it is scary. It becomes, since I don’t know what to do, I will do nothing. I will keep kicking the can of doing something down the road, till either someone comes and shows me carrots and gets me to put my money somewhere and be done with it or more kicking or I see one of my friends who is financially savvy to get expensive things (car, house, vacation, whatever). Till this time, the money earned remains in the salary account (personally, I have seen 6 years worth of earnings in the savings account – amount 24L).

“If you want to buy things you want, you have to save”. This was my first lesson in savings and investment, after I had studied and worked for a total of 22 years!

In this writeup, I will just be writing about someone who has got some amount but don’t know how to start managing it. Rather than someone who is about to start.

Bank Account: The earned money is sitting in the savings account and earning a measly 3.5% (tax free up to 10-15,000 – whatever govt has limited, as such the amount is small). However, the money is relatively safe. Relatively, because in today’s world of online banking and debit cards, the risk is non-zero.

So where to start?

Let us first understand some basics:

Savings Options are FD/RD (sorry didn't realize RD=recurring deposit), NSC (national savings certificate), PPF (public provident fund), private companies FD (like Shriram finance, and others) and mutual funds categories which deal with savings papers (also known as debt papers).

All these are called Debt instruments. Basically, you give your money (called principal amount) to the other party (govt, bank, private company), and they promise to give a certain percentage of returns over and above the principal amount. So, you give them P (principal) and then give back P + I (principal and interest) after a period of time.

An example of FD: you give the bank 10,000 today. And the bank promises to give you 10,000 and 7% (700) after 1 year.

An example of RD: you give the bank 1,000 every month, and the bank promises to give you 12,000 (1,000 x 12 months) and around 400 additionally as interest. Only back of the envelop calculation.

Moreover, you have to pay income tax on those 700 and 400 rs. So, just really understand how difficult it is to earn money on the savings amounts and which when subjected to tax, comes out to how little. In this case, if you are in 30% bracket, then you are getting only 490 and 280 rs finally, after you have saved that amount of money for 1 year.

The corollary is since you have not been investing at all, you are not even getting that amount till now. Not even those measly 490 and 280 even all these years.

I will just cut short the other options, because they are as pathetic for someone of your condition.

The “best” option right now to move that money out of the rut is to put majority of money into a liquid mutual fund.

Why that thing? Because they are:

· Diversified – basically, they keep money into a large number of different areas, so that if one area goes bad (recent news IL&FS), then all your money is not in jeopardy. The more diversified the money is kept, better is the protection (a general rule).

· In general, you earn more than FD, both in terms of interest as well as with less tax, if you keep the money in there for >3 years.

· Third and most important, the money withdrawal is flexible. You want to remove 5,000 you can. You want to remove 1 lakh, you can (of course, you should have more than 1 lakh invested). You want to remove everything, you can.

· Negative thing: you will receive money only the next day if the amount of big. For smaller amounts (

@sammie2019 Great write up. Have tons of friends and colleagues who have this exact same attitude - I don't know these stuff, so I should just not get into these.

Am curious why you recommended Franklin Liquid fund. Its portfolio has no SOV bonds or T-bills. Is there something I'm missing?

My go-to liquid funds are Parag Parikh & Quantum; but if asset size is an issue, then DSP.

@sammie2019 Would you not recommend that 18L to be in multiple AMCs liquid funds? Single AMC would be a deadly combination when things like IIFL happens for example Principal cash losing 7%. This loss is enough to make a liquid fund investor go crazy.

Having multiple AMCs would mean each holdings concentration would also dilute and thus risks reduces.

@sammie2019 Well well well... look, who's back! Good to see you are still around and have not disowned us! :)

On topic, I would have whole-heartedly agreed with this until a few years back. But sorry to say, some of it now is very dangerous advice, especially for complete newbies. I no longer ascribe to the theory of [liquid/UST] debt funds being at par with or even slightly better than savings/FDs regardless of post-tax performance. IMO they serve a different purpose (best used as tools for overall asset class diversification). One should only go for these funds if they are comfortable with losing >10% or whatever is the highest weightage of non-sovereign component in the fund's portfolio. Why? Because there's no guarantee that a) the fund will only invest in SOV/AAA securities and/or b) the highly rated securities won't be downgraded to junk in a jiffy. Diversify all you want but keep this in mind for every single such fund in the portfolio (at least until there's some regulatory overhaul).

If the amount one wishes to invest is non-discretionary and requires the safety of savings/FD then one should stick to that only. For long-term discretionary amount, equity should be the way to go (to beat inflation), even if it's through [conservative] hybrid funds. The thing is, with equity, people somewhat expect and are more accommodative of losses but these debt funds provide a false sense of security to those a) who don't really understand them and b) who are unable/unwilling to monitor the portfolio regularly. Yeah, one could argue that FDs and all are only insured up to 1 lakh or so. But how many instances do you know where the bank defaulted on them as compared to the default in such funds?

I noticed a comment on this sub recently which lamented about debt funds providing FD returns with the risk of equity. I couldn't agree more. I have been trading derivatives for more than half a decade now out of which the last 20 months have been purely day trading and am yet to experience a single loss that is higher than what I have seen in some [liquid/UST] debt funds default overnight.

@realmajor101 This is advice for someone with Zero level of understanding, who has been incurring Opportunity cost all this while and who should start ASAP.

Regarding FD, I don't think you understand that such people will not invest in FD because they have to pay "high" tax on the interest. So, if you ask them to put amount in FD alone, they will not do that either. That tax is paralytic to them.

And across a single month, which decent liquid fund has lost money? Anyway, we can always debate about these points! But out of the 3 recommendations I have put, I have fair confidence that money will not be lost.

Diversification and flexibility are more important options for the kind of person I am recommending in this series of post.

@sammie2019
Regarding FD, I don't think you understand that such people will not invest in FD because they have to pay "high" tax on the interest. So, if you ask them to put amount in FD alone, they will not do that either. That tax is paralytic to them.

Hmmm... I have not come across people who prefer sitting on cash or availing just basic savings interest over FD just because of tax. If they are around, well, then I don't really know what to say.

And across a single month, which decent liquid fund has lost money?

Forget month(s)... I was talking about overnight. How do you think a person who invests in liquid fund treating it as a panacea with FD like expectation + anytime liquidity + tax benefits, etc. react when (based on the current regulatory framework, not using IF) a default occurs and they lose non-insignificant chunk overnight?! But yeah, it's debatable so no use dwelling on it. Other than that I agree with the basic underlying sentiment of your post.

@lukocyte No problems with the advice as long as people are also aware of the risks. Anyone using [liquid/UST] debt funds as a savings bank alternative should be prepared for the possibility of up to 10-15% loss overnight. When weighed against the benefits, if you find this risk acceptable then just go for it. Otherwise explore options to manage this risk, e.g. keeping an emergency buffer, diversification, portfolio monitoring, etc. If all this seems too daunting, then maybe just stick to savings account/FDs until you figure things out.

@realmajor101 Yeah, your right but as as per my recently acquired knowledge:))) debt mf are considerable safe , though provide low level of returns. I have started working recently from past one years. I have buffer of 1lac, and wanna invest 50k in debt Mf. Two sip's 2k each in Multi cap( Quant Growth Fund) and Long and Mid cap( Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund) . Around some lumpsum amount in sectoral fund like (Tata digital).

So am i taking so much risk with hard earned money which almost equivalent to betting? Your advice will be greatly appreciated

@lukocyte
debt mf are considerable safe , though provide low level of returns

Given their predictably low returns, there is no need to take unnecessarily high risks with them. A liquid/UST fund should be enough to do most of the jobs (unless there is a requirement which specifically calls for riskier debt funds). And a couple of them from different AMCs would provide a bit of diversification. Lastly, keeping aside a 15% buffer (or being prepared to handle such a loss) would ensure one doesn't panic and [isn't forced to] take non-optimal decisions in the event of a default.

Assuming you have already setup an emergency fund worth at least 6 months expenses, you may go ahead with two debt funds and use them to maintain your desired debt:equity allocation of the investment portfolio (go through part 4 of this series and focus on asset allocation). I won't comment on your choice of funds but would strongly urge you to reconsider the utility of a sectoral fund. In fact, you should really run all this past the folks over at our designated advice thread. Good luck!