Fellow millennials, how are u guys doing economically nowadays?

be4christ

I came across a chapter of a book wherein it highlights the advantages and disadvantages of a father and son from the same lifetime. The gist of it was that the father had it rough because of world war while the son had it easy because he started working after the war. The son actually made it and make it really big whereas the father died miserable and depressed. Unfortunately I do not have my parents nor immediate relatives to tell me what it's like when they were just starting out. But I'd like to think that they had it easier than us. From inflation to turbulent global concerns parang andami naman natin dapat I deal with. So what do u guys think do u think it's easier for them to start a family, raise the kids, prepare for their future than us?

@be4christ mid-30s, luckily didn’t fuck up my finances - pretty sure my life is 10x easier than my parents. job was easier and financial progression is incomparable. technology made everything so accessible (information, investments, banking system, news). spent a life of leisure without too much worry. my parents were still starting their life by this time and struggling to provide for us 🥲

@resjudicata Hi! I recently graduated from a computer studies degree. Currently studying to get an AWS SAA-C03 certificate. I have no idea how to efficiently look for a job. I've tried linkedin, and indeed but there seems to be fewer job postings unlike a few months back. May pwede ka bang suggest of where to look?

@waj30 frankly to be a credible solutions architect you have to do your time first at the ground level building actual apps. i wouldn’t trust someone na walang field experience sa software tapos nag jump na agad sa infra. i did the whole cert thing pero wala namang pumapansin sa part na yon and ended up not even mentioning it sa interviews.

so dude, step 1 would be to create an aws account, step 2 build a pipeline and deploy an actual app with backend and frontend + database (pick your poison)

@resjudicata Thanks for the advice man
Both my internship and thesis was in infra development kasi (with a focus on devops and pipelines). I got experience building infra for aws, and microservice development in my internship. Pero I think tama ka nga na I should get experience na focused sa software development first before jumping to devops. After all, that's half the name right? Maybe I can do software dev first, then operations, then maybe I can take a devops engineer position. Salamat! Wish me luck with job hunting haha

@waj30 to add: you dont have to be hardcore you know, just enough that you can set up observability tools (logs and traces), environment variables (connection, feature flags, etc) and some basic know-how on how the runtime operates and how to tweak them (JVM, containers). networking too - huge and severely under-appreciated aspect of ops. make sure you know the ins and outs of the pipeline (from source code to production env). make git-ops a habit too - every freakin change has to be sourced/triggered from the source control.

@be4christ Another reason to ask myself why didn’t I choose this path!! I’m doing okay as of now but still, seeing and knowing stories from this business segment/industry makes me question myself why I chose to be an accountant LOL.

@anika98 worked at a BPO for my 2nd job, majority ng mga officemates ko outsourced accountants for AU - pretty sure doing well ung mga yun, ok naman ung profession mo baka lang may better employment out there na di mo pa na explore

@resjudicata Actually, I’m in the same industry. Thankful pa din naman ako kasi I got the chance to travel to AU, buy my parents a small house here in Manila. Pero I find your industry challenging in some ways plus the pay 😂

@be4christ The goods:

Single, I have a stable job, I have 200k+ emergency savings, no debt!

The bads:

Have anxiety/depression, bad diet, some health issues, hated my job, inflation, government corruptions.

@be4christ I'm doing well. Late twenties. I have EF. I can afford rent and groceries for over a year if I wanted to take a break from work. I don't have kids which makes life and budgeting so much easier.

When my parents were my age I doubt they even had a month's salary worth of savings.

Occasionally I can travel to affordable asian countries. I regularly go out to eat. I have several game consoles and regularly buy games. I use higher-end skincare. But even if I let go of all of those things, I still would not be able to buy property in metro manila, which my parents were able to do at my age.

My quality of life is so much better but I cant buy big ticket items like a house or car as easily as they did.