F It, probably won't make it to retirement. Cashing out retirement to buy a house

@symph Not familiar with anything special in Texas. Did you do it as a part of the CARES act which expired end of 2020 or did you do a hardship withdrawal used towards home purchase? Seems the second one is limited to 10k.

Do you have a link to what you used?

@rustedspurs4 This is this can be tricky! My first house I bought was $10,000 duplex and it was that cheap for a reason! I had no capability or funds to fix it like I needed to - it was pretty rough for the 5 years I lived there- no heat, no hot water, rotted floorboards that I fell through more than once, upsetting neighbors, pipes froze at least once every winter- pure luck they never burst. Eventually the roof gave out.

Right when I was just about at my wit's end and I'd moved back in with my parents for the last chunk of the winter because it was dangerously cold, a development company made me an offer right before Christmas and bought it without an inspection. I felt like I was in a Hallmark movie! It was like having this massive weight lifted off of me.

It is possible to buy a fixer upper and have a good experience and build value, but I think you have to have a lot more useful knowledge and ability to set and reach goals than I do.

@blecap1 Ha! I’m 61F, awful divorce 3 years ago, haven’t been able to get my footing back after all he stole…Tired of living anywhere I can to save money. I just emailed my broker to tell him I’m done. I need a place that’s mine. Wing and a prayer.

@resjudicata You go, girl! 53f here. Went through my own rough divorce about 15 years ago. Took a decade to crawl out from it financially and mentally. Hang in there because it's all uphill from here! It will be so soul nourishing to have your own place. Good luck!

@symph …is that documented anywhere? My friends have said the same but I can’t find that written anywhere. How do I ensure it isn’t penalized?

@missgiver You can avoid the 10% penalty on $10,000. You still pay ordinary income tax on the $10,000. Any amount withdrawn above $10,000 is taxed as ordinary income + 10% penalty.

@missgiver You have to contact your plan issuer and talk to them or I think they do tax it but at the end of the year, you claim it back I’m not sure on that part. I just learned it through real estate school

@blecap1 Please get an inspection done. I've heard of a ton of people bypassing the house inspection recently and ended up with a terrible experience because they rushed. For the sake of your finances, get an inspection