Experience with super visa medical insurance claims?

taz77777

Hi everyone, I am looking to get my parents in Canada on a super visa and want to understand any experiences that you might have had when it comes to claiming insurance for common problems such as a fever and flu?

@taz77777 The main thing to remember is these policies only cover you for necessary emergency medical expenses. Yes if they need to see a doctor for a flu that is fine. But their annual blood work is not. Need to get your pacemaker updated as it's coming up to end of life? They would need to go home for that or pay out of pocket.

Further understand that for serious conditions the goal of these policies is to stabilize and, when medically safe to do so, transfer back to the insured's home country - if that is cheaper than providing the extended care. They only allow for a few follow-up visits so if the condition has a long tail of monitoring and follow-up after the initial treatment the patient would need to return home. This is how these policies respond if you were injured abroad while on vacation.

Double check you understand the pre-existing conditions clause for the specific policy. They are quite harsh on these policies.

Lastly, healthcare in Canada for non-residents is expensive. Hospital charges are close to USA levels of high, so spend the money. If any age related issue occurs like heart attack or stroke your $50k policy is doubtful to cover it.

Anyways that is all I remember. It's been 3+ years since I've thought about these policies so take it as you will.