EUR to GBP exchange w/o losing on FX rates when EUR is cash

tidal9334

I'm a UK resident and my father (not a resident) is visiting us and happen to bring €4000 with him instead of £4000 (yes, you heard that right). And this amount is entirely in cash.

What's the most effective way to exchange to GBP without losing a lot on FX rates?

Post office, local exchange houses and even the banks offer FX rates with a big spread to the mid-market rates seen on XE (just using XE to understand the variation and I'm fully aware that actual rates differ from what is shown on XE).

Could I obtain a prepaid travel card in GBP by paying in EUR? The rates offered are much better for travel card than cash. But not sure if a GBP travel card is something that can be issued or does it have to be a non-GBP travel card?

@tidal9334 Can't your dad deposit it in the bank?

Then he can SEPA the money to your Fineco account (easy to open) and you can convert it to £'s and withdraw from any cash machine.

I doubt if there's any cheap way to do this. Places I can think to change the money are: Heathrow airport, currency exchanges in central London, high street banks in other towns and cities - they're all going to be expensive, aren't they? I guess this is a cultural thing - we just don't do that here, and I guess they do in your dad's country.

@tidal9334 you're unlikely to get an amazing rate but our local BFC Exchange doesn't usually have a bad rate on any currency. maybe find a decent exchange and change half now unless he anticipates needing all 4k

@tidal9334 If you bank with HSBC or Barclays open a UK based Euro Currency account.

Otherwise, shop around for best bureaux de change rate near you.

They won't accept 500€ notes, but 200€ and below are fine.