automatiic

I’m 25 y/o, earning about $90k p/y and currently have $43k ($29k transferred from REST) sitting in my high growth Triple S super. With my current role I have to make a voluntary contribution towards super which I have chosen 5.3% before tax instead of 4.5% after tax.

I’m planning on either investing into an ETF (IOO or IOZ) or increasing my voluntary contribution to super, which would be the wiser?

@tbvsthienloc2020 Saving money by minimising taxes OP pays via salary sacrificing to super would help do that though? He has to salary sacrifice less to get the same level of investment he wants.

@somethingon As part of my employment I understand, I have two choices with my super before tax or after tax. I make an extra compulsory payment on top of the guaranteed super

@automatiic You have four choices for your super payments:
  1. Instruct your employer to pay part of your pre tax pay into your super account
  2. Top up post tax then at end of financial year file a notice of intent to claim a tax deduction (getting the benefit of 1)
  3. Top up post tax and lose any deduction benefit
  4. Put your money elsewhere
If you have enough buffer in your budget, 1 is the easiest. 2 allows you to catch up on carry forward amounts to your concessional cap.

@automatiic At your age I'd prioritise the tax benefits of super, then dip a toe in to ETFs.

You're well ahead of where I was at your age in terms of your super balance and the questions you're asking, keep at it

@kingrandyharts This is poor advice. To retire early the most effective strategy is a combination of super and outside super investments. Mathematically getting super investments in place first (to fund post 60 life) as they compound better in low tax environment. After this start saving outside super to fund retirement to 60 living.